Getting a disgruntled allstar?

Getting a disgruntled allstar?

Postby BleedPurple&Gold on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:22 am

I'm sure you all have heard about the possibility of getting a allstar, so I'd like to renew the idea w/ some more info..... (sorry if this already has a thread but i couldn't find it)

The following was posted @ LG by Chrome Hearts

Unfortunately for some, and fortunately for me, my days as a so-called "insider" are done. I've never claimed to be one. My only contribution came when some info was relayed to me during a dinner I had with an old friend of mine. Although I would like to spew everything my friend and I share through our e-mail exchanges, I feel it's unnecessary to do so since I'm not seeking any "credit" or "props".

I saw the repercussions first hand when rumors are posted. I do not want to get caught up in it again. It's neither my profession nor duty to speculate what the Lakers might do. There are plenty of journalists and other insiders on this site that will provide valuable info.

With that said, I leave this subject with this parting summary of the latest e-mail exchange that I had with my friend. I feel some responsibility to tie the knot on this subject so here it is:

Mitch still wants that "disgruntled all-star" on the Lakers. Phil is a little hesitant about this player but is willing to roll with it if Mitch insists. Phil is not going to resign or throw a hissy fit if Kupchak does indeed to deal for this player. This player is very interested in coming to the Lakers. His agent has been in contact with Mitch. Whether or not a deal gets done depends on this player's current team and its willingness to deal.

Contrary to PJ's ravings about Butler's ability on the court; Butler is the Lakers main trading chip this summer. Getting this player might involve giving up Caron + draft pick (10) + expiring contracts but the Lakers want to try to keep the draft pick (10). The Lakers are hoping to give Caron + expiring contracts for this player while using the Number 10 + other expiring contracts to trade up the draft.

I know what you are thinking. There's no way the Lakers will move up the draft unless Caron is included in the deal. But what I'm relaying to you is "best case" scenario, meaning the scenario that the Lakers want.

Mitch is working VERY diligently this offseason. No stones will be left unturned. Just realize one thing if nothing monumental happens; IT WAS NOT DUE TO NEGLIGENCE. As I've always alluded to in earlier posts, it will take both parties to agree to a deal. Just because Mitch proposes a deal, doesn't mean another team has to accept it. It should be an exciting offseason for all Lakers fans and I earnestly hope that everything will go the Lakers way and dominance is restored in La La Land.

I have gone through the 2005 allstar teams to discover who this "disgruntled allstar who did not make the playoffs" might be and here is what I have found as the ONLY possibilities::::

Grant Hill, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, LeBron James, and Kevin Garnett

now, its possible its referring to someone who was ONCE an allstar, but considering only this past year these are the only possibilites. (LBJ23 is more pipe than KG, I don't c why we would want hill... so its most likely either Z or KG... most likely Z b/c it said phil doesn't especially want him, but he would role w/ him. i don't c why anyone would NOT want KG. )

thoughts?

(P.S. many @ LG think its steve francis)
BleedPurple&Gold

Postby vincejs on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:46 am

peep
vincejs

Postby alex58 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:50 am

Allow mw to comment on the four players you mentioned:
There is No way the price for LeBaron and Garnett will be Caron and the the 10 pick, not even some expiring contracts. those players are the core of their teams , and unless people in Clevland and in Min., will lose their mind , that will never happen.
That will leave us with Illgaskay and Hill. Why do we need G.Hill ? no reason at all to have him when we have Kobe. Then its Illgaskay, which I heared he demanded 10m contract, plus his knees injury is a big issue.
I guess we have to find out some one else , especially if the reporter did not mention if he is an all star or he was an all star!!!!!!!!!!! :man9:
Magic , the only way to bring back the go0d old days.
alex58

Postby BleedPurple&Gold on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:58 am

exactly my point... the only one possible out of the 4 i mentioned would be Z. impossible to get kg or lebron for caron + 10 (nearly impossible to get them for anything) and we have no use for hill... i noticed on the discusson board there's also a thread about the cav's renouncing the rights to Z.... sounds like this could be the man we're talking about.... unless of course it was a PAST allstar.... i wouln't mind getting Z as long as we didn't hav to give up too much... i would def. want to keep the 10 pick.
BleedPurple&Gold

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:46 pm

my guess is Steve Francis

Postby bigsleepy on Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:24 pm

Caron1 wrote:my guess is Steve Francis

I agree. The most likely suspect, the scenario in Orlando is a bad fit..

"Don't ever forget that you play with your soul, as well as your body"
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
bigsleepy
CL Resident bouncer

Location: Oregon ........ (by way of Vallejo & Los Dangerous, California)

Postby High IQ on Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:34 pm

:nono5: I don't wanna stevie here. maybe we will get him, and then trade him for B-diddy :man1:
High IQ

Postby X-tacy(ScArab) on Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:34 pm

There are a few that we could be talking about.

1. Ray Allen - Team does not seem willing to give him a big contract

2. O'neal - The Pacers future seems less and less clear

3. Grant Hill - I think he finally wants out of the MAgic

4. Paul Peirce - I do not know if he is unhappy but I would hate to be on that team over and over again.
X-tacy(ScArab)

Postby bigsleepy on Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:38 pm

Keep in mind..

We have absolutely no need for another SG (Kobe gets more than 40 minutes a night there).

We have 5 (count them FIVE) SFs, 2 of which are good enough to start on most teams in the league.

Thus, you can pretty much rule out SGs and SFs, they wouldn't help to solve our problems (and we've got lots).
"Don't ever forget that you play with your soul, as well as your body"
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
bigsleepy
CL Resident bouncer

Location: Oregon ........ (by way of Vallejo & Los Dangerous, California)

Postby kobesthegreatest8 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:20 pm

Interesting...can't wait to find out more.

Thanks to Showtime for the greatest sig! And thanks to magicmoment for the awesome Av!
kobesthegreatest8

Postby trodgers on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:48 pm

X-tacy(ScArab) wrote:There are a few that we could be talking about.

1. Ray Allen - Team does not seem willing to give him a big contract

2. O'neal - The Pacers future seems less and less clear

3. Grant Hill - I think he finally wants out of the MAgic

4. Paul Peirce - I do not know if he is unhappy but I would hate to be on that team over and over again.

I'll take O'Neal :man10: In all honesty, I don't think that Allen or Peirce are good fits. They're both players who play positions we don't need. Hill probably isn't worth big money and plays the same position (SG/SF). I pray Francis doesn't come here. Wouldn't make too much sense with other things Phil has said. I'd take O'Neal in a heartbeat.

PG, Kobe, Odom, O'Neal, Mihm. Doesn't matter who's at the PG as long as it's better than Chucky. That's an amazing team.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby High IQ on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:55 pm

and how the hell we gonna get Jermaine? trade our entire tam except Kobe Odom and Mihm? :man3: :man11:
High IQ

Postby bleed purple n gold on Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:25 pm

franchise!

…You take a player getting over 10mill a year and I will make him look like he deserves 2 mill. -Ron Artest
bleed purple n gold

Postby alberto on Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:07 pm

The player has been an All-Star. My guess is Magloire.
alberto

Postby John3:16 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:14 pm

Walker ? Pierce ? Francis ? They all meet the criteria.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:21 pm

alberto wrote:The player has been an All-Star. My guess is Magloire.

REMEMBER...this is a player that Phil is reluctant about. Why in the world would Phil be reluctant to get O'Neal, KG, Lebron and Magliore.....plz?

The guys who come to mind is FRANCIS, WEBBER (old and creaky), Hill (we have too many SF's). Think of disgruntled Allstars who 1. won't fit the triangle 2. plays a position that we don't have need for.
borri

Postby crucifido on Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:25 pm

Francis makes the most sense in this rumor.

1) Phil isn't too hot on small guards leading him to say what he did.

2) However, Francis is a qulaity player, just a bad mental state. That's something Phil has no problem whipping into shape.

3) He fills a position the Lakers are looking to fill.

4) He's a permanently disgruntled all-star.

5) Trading Caron to the East would prevent the Lakers from having to play him too much and watch him develop (if he does, which I suspect he willespecially if he's the focus of an offense) into anything special.

6) Webber's athleticism, something Phil prizes highly and is vital to the triangle, is nowhere near feasible. Plus Webber's contract would require the Lakers to trade a whole lot more than just one or two guys and a pick to match salaries.

7) Hill is redundant position player for the Lakers - the Lakers have Odom already. His injury history is also something a younger athletic team has absolutely no need for. Watching Hill play is just waiting for the shoe to fall and an injury to hit. With such movement in our offense there's no way he could hold up.

8) Ray Allen = free agent (no trade necessary) and too expensive.

9) Paul Pierce - another redundant player for the Lakers

10) O'Neal or Magloire - there's no way Phil would be against acquiring either of these guys. They fit Phil's player prototype perfectly.

Personally, I want no part of Francis. He just hits me the wrong way. He's a "need-the-ball" type of player that will have a tough time living alongside Kobe and Lamar.

If it happens so be it. But I do think there's better deals out there, at least I hope there is.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby G|B|G|B on Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:58 pm

sooo francis makes 13.7 mill next season
how would it even out?
Butler 2.4 mill
chucky ? 4.5 mill
divac? 5.3 mill
???
it works out
G|B|G|B
ClubHeatHoops.com Administrator

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:14 pm

crucifido is on point, i think. important piece of info: phil is reluctant. gotta be steve francis. not a phil type player, but he's a big-time talent who's unhappy where he's at (and i'm not so sure they like him, either). i'd be a little nervous about a francis acquisition. it's a gamble. could work out great (as in best-backcourt-in-basketball great), or it could be a spectacular failure. i'd rather trade the package for boozer, personally.
abeer3

Postby Sirron on Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:20 pm

at first I though C-Webb, but now you guys have me thinking magloire. Haven't seen him play much, but NO doesn't see to be the place to be right now.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:23 pm

sirronstuff wrote:at first I though C-Webb, but now you guys have me thinking magloire. Haven't seen him play much, but NO doesn't see to be the place to be right now.

why would phil be reluctant to take magloire? he'd be a nice fit in la.
abeer3

Postby Kingsama on Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:42 pm

of those listed i think you have to go with francis as the front runner.

more reasons.

orlando has been pretty vocal about dumping salaries and seem to be amasing young talent, with caron and our expiring K's the lakers can give them both.
with the 10th pick they would have no issues drafting a highschooler/foriegn player that needs time, cause howard will need the same.
caron fits well with the team that exists and could come in and start right away, hopefully providing scoring like he did in la the last month and a half...
Kingsama

Postby BleedPurple&Gold on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:28 pm

Philly and Boston made the playoffs, can't be PP, Webber, or Walker.

Steve francis was talked about a while back so its possible that those reports were correct all along and it really is steve. wouldn't mind that, but i def. think we should somehow get a big (stro, kwamie, some1). Also, no way to move up in the draft if we trade caron for francis. that means no paul. I personally would prefer to do a trade for #4 and mags and get paul. we'd be set as a franchise even after kobe retires. anyway... could be BRAND also... if i were on the clips i be pretty disgruntled and id be wishing i was still in LA except in purple and gold rather than blue and red.
BleedPurple&Gold

Postby nameant on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:34 pm

That would suck if it was francis. the guy is selfish, careless, and clueless. no doubt he has talent....but the lakers need a REAL point guard. a play maker...not turnover maker. steve is a shoot first PG and wouldnt work well in the triangle. he is also too passionate and gets into a lot of trouble. and what happens at the end of the game...when kobe is supposed to take the big shot and steve decides to dribble out the clock and take a bad shot? lakers need a PG who is pass first but can also knock down the open shot...b/c in the triangle..the PG is designed to get a lot of open 3's. ask kerr, paxson, fish, and payton (and his airballs)...

p.s. i am new to this board
nameant

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:32 pm

nameant wrote:That would suck if it was francis. the guy is selfish, careless, and clueless. no doubt he has talent....but the lakers need a REAL point guard. a play maker...not turnover maker. steve is a shoot first PG and wouldnt work well in the triangle. he is also too passionate and gets into a lot of trouble. and what happens at the end of the game...when kobe is supposed to take the big shot and steve decides to dribble out the clock and take a bad shot? lakers need a PG who is pass first but can also knock down the open shot...b/c in the triangle..the PG is designed to get a lot of open 3's. ask kerr, paxson, fish, and payton (and his airballs)...

p.s. i am new to this board
if its francis ill welcome him with open arms plus with phil as the coach hell control francis n hell kno his role plus francis game isnt shootin hes more of a penetrator dunker n he loves to pass believe it or not think of when francis played for van gundy he listend to van gundy u think he wont listen to phil? come onnnnn nowwwwwwwwww bring on franchise pg- francis - sg -kb sf - odom - pick - fa/mihm wed be versatile as hell n atletic monsters
PurpleNGold1

Next

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas