Groundless Trade & free agent signing Idea Thread

Postby trodgers on Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:21 pm

I can't find out whether Eddie Griffin has been re-signed. So, if anyone knows his status, what are your thoughts on Griffin or Drew Gooden? Both play PF and would come pretty cheaply. Gooden is due 4 million, Griffin made just 720k this past season.

Here are some numbers...the top line under each player is his offensive numbers, the bottom his defensive numbers.

Gooden (per 48 minutes at PF)
pts, ast, reb, blk, eff FG%
22.4, 2.5, 14.3, 1.5, .494
18.5, 2.6, 11.6, 1.4, .473

Griffin Free Agent
16.7, 1.7, 14.5, 3.6, .447
21.1, 2.7, 11.3, 1.0, .491

Thoughts? Griffin blocks a ton more, gets a few more rebounds. Gooden certainly scores better and seems a better defender. He also has an inch and 5 or 10 pounds on Griffin. Wonder if we could do Chucky straight up (unlikely I imagine) or Slava and Cook for Gooden. Or we could offer Griffin LLE.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby High IQ on Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:01 pm

what about trading Sasha for Lisa Leslie?
High IQ

Postby Sirron on Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:46 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:I can't find out whether Eddie Griffin has been re-signed. So, if anyone knows his status, what are your thoughts on Griffin or Drew Gooden? Both play PF and would come pretty cheaply. Gooden is due 4 million, Griffin made just 720k this past season.

Here are some numbers...the top line under each player is his offensive numbers, the bottom his defensive numbers.

Gooden (per 48 minutes at PF)
22.4, 2.5, 14.3, 1.5, .494
18.5, 2.6, 11.6, 1.4, .473

Griffin Free Agent
16.7, 1.7, 14.5, 3.6, .447
21.1, 2.7, 11.3, 1.0, .491

Thoughts? Griffin blocks a ton more, gets a few more rebounds. Gooden certainly scores better and seems a better defender. He also has an inch and 5 or 10 pounds on Griffin. Wonder if we could do Chucky straight up (unlikely I imagine) or Slava and Cook for Gooden. Or we could offer Griffin LLE.

The beef with Gooden with his prior team was apparently he wasn't too bright in remembering plays. If that is true, he may not be a good fit for the Zen man and the triangle.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby ShotInTheDark on Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:19 pm

I'm new, so hello y'all...

There has been a lot of rumors lately on moving up in the draft, one has Chucky, Caron, and #10 to Portland for the #3 and an as of yet un-named player (speculation is that it's Ruben Patterson).

Perhaps this rumor, reported by ABC News, is incorrect. It would be best for the Lakers to move up in the draft without losing a player like Caron--this would give us the flexibility to persue other more lucrative trades.

If we were able to negotiate a trade with Portland, it doesn't seem likely that Phil would want to have Ruben Patterson back in the locker room.

And if Portland is enamored with Chucky, who has had a "career" year, then this gives the Lakers and Blazers an opportunity to take out the trash so to speak, and get something better in return.

A trade that might make sense to all sides could be sending...

Chucky
Vlade
#10 Pick

for

Derek Anderson
#3 Pick

Admittedly, I find it hard to believe that Portland would want Chucky on a roster cluttered with PG's. But I can see how the Blazers would want to get rid of Derek Anderson, as both his numbers and games played have steadily declined during the past 3 years in Portland. Potentially, in their eyes, Atkins>>Anderson, and besides this year's draft talent pool isn't as impressive as years past.

Why draft another PG or SF at the #3 when they can fill a need at the #10? From that perspective, there is not as big a dropoff from #3 to #10 for Portland as their is a gain for LA to go from #10 to #3.

With the addition of Vlade, who is not garbage by any stretch of the imagination, the trade also becomes a way for Portland to cut salary.

For the Lakers, I can see how Phil wouldn't object to getting a tall guard like a Derek Anderson. He could be a serviceable backup who may thrive in Phil's system. Best yet, his contract expires at the same time as Grant's, so we get more trade flexibility. And the Lakers get that coveted high draft pick.

So on the surface it looks like a win-win situation.

But the icing on the cake is getting rid of Chucky. His attitude is not going to work on this team plain and simple. Think Gary Payton, but not nearly as good. Yet an aging GP did have a pretty good year in Boston, so maybe Atkins can do for Portland what Nash did for Phoenix. Who knows?

While he won't be next year's MVP a la Nash, Chucky Atkins does have a star's mentality, and that could bode well for Portland's playoff hopes.

Best of luck in Portland Chucky, I see a career year for you there next season.
ShotInTheDark

Postby Sirron on Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:32 pm

Man, I like the way you think. Welcome to the board! Let me get this straight:

We move up in the draft

We get Derek Anderson-a big guard

we get rid of Sucky!

I like!

do the numbers match up anyone? :jam2:
Sirron

Postby bigsleepy on Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:56 pm

Trade all these stupid ideas for a newspaper so some of ya'll can read whats going on in the real world.
"Don't ever forget that you play with your soul, as well as your body"
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
bigsleepy
CL Resident bouncer

Location: Oregon ........ (by way of Vallejo & Los Dangerous, California)

Postby ShotInTheDark on Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:07 pm

Yawn...
ShotInTheDark

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:06 pm

vlade/chucky/10 for al harrington/2nd rounder?

atlanta currently has no pg, chucky could be a stopgap for a year, or they could hope felton slips to 10. buy vlade out and save some cash.

lakers get another young versatile athlete, and this guy's tough.

it's giving up a lot, so i guess it depends on how much you value harrington (i clearly think he's a very good option at pf).
abeer3

Postby ckermott on Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:59 pm

High IQ wrote:what about trading Sasha for Lisa Leslie?

hahaha... deal, that would be a steal for the Lakers :man12:
ckermott

Postby Lakerfan36 on Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:06 pm

u mean atkins for lisa leslie :man10:
Future PS3 owners club: Lakerfan 36, lakaboy 42, Hitemup, scheven, KrazyIvan909, flipogb, LUUUKE, Kobe The Dagger, kobe4ever

http://www.break.com/index/snlnarnia.html
Lakerfan36

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:27 am

ID RATHER TAKE HOLDSCLAW :jam2:
PurpleNGold1

Postby High IQ on Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:14 am

Lakerfan36 wrote:

no, we will trade Sasha cuz he is 6'6" or somethin, and Lisa is 6'6" also (I hope) and Sasha will fill their needs in center in WNBA. plus, WNBA will be right place for Sasha cuz of his hardiness. and imagine Lisa vs Shaq!!! if he will foul on her, every1 will say that shaq bumped a woman, and no1 will mess with Lisa, and with LAkers :jam2: :jam2:
High IQ

Postby silversyphon41 on Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:33 am

High IQ wrote:
Lakerfan36 wrote:

no, we will trade Sasha cuz he is 6'6" or somethin, and Lisa is 6'6" also (I hope) and Sasha will fill their needs in center in WNBA. plus, WNBA will be right place for Sasha cuz of his hardiness. and imagine Lisa vs Shaq!!! if he will foul on her, every1 will say that shaq bumped a woman, and no1 will mess with Lisa, and with LAkers :jam2: :jam2:

nice one :bow:
KOBE + BYNUM & TURIAF + GOOD PG = SELL OUT CROWD! BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS LA!
silversyphon41

Postby ckermott on Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:15 pm

What about something along the lines of Odom, Butler, 10th for Travis Outlaw, Telfair, Ratliff and 3rd?
ckermott

Postby DMK on Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:28 pm

Though Telfair may end up being something special...

I wouldnt give up Caron AND Lamar....

Anything other then that, im game.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby ckermott on Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:37 pm

Maybe we could trade Butler for Devin Harris?
ckermott

Postby abeer3 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:47 pm

ckermott wrote:Maybe we could trade Butler for Devin Harris?

dallas has no motivation to make that deal. harris is a real talent, even though most haven't seen much of him--tony parker quickness in a much longer package (he's 6'3", and i think his wingspan is something in the 6'10" range or something freakish like that). plus, josh howard and marquis daniels are slated as the wings of the future there.

though dallas might consider caron for marquis, who could play pg in the triangle (he played pg in college).
abeer3

Postby they_perch on Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:18 am

lakers trade caron butler and chucky atkins to the bucks, vlade divac to the bulls.

milwaukee trades joe smith(or gadz), mo williams, and first round pick to the bulls.

the bulls trade tyson chandler to the lakers.

basically requires tyson chandler to want to go to LA, and say, i can play another year here and leave and you get nothing, or go now, and you get something in return. the bulls get a starting pf in return, a backup pg, a future pick, and vlade's cap relief.

the bucks get caron butler(milwaukee native) as well as chucky atkins. maybe start bogut so he gets experience and move gadz to pf? or just sign a pf w/ mle.

lakers get the defensive bigman they need.
Last edited by they_perch on Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
they_perch

Postby Sirron on Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:47 am

well thought out. Still don't want to give up Caron this year until I see what he can do.
Sirron

Postby plennt on Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:39 pm

yes plennt is not a fan of trading butler unless it is really nessecerary
plennt

Postby LAKERS4LIFE on Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:24 pm

i was reading nba insider today and it was talking about how the knicks want to trade marbury and move crawford to 1 and q rich to 2- plus how they wanted to free up some money
so i thought, how would you guys like this

Butler + Grant
for
Marbury
LAKERS4LIFE

Postby ckermott on Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:34 pm

LAKERS4LIFE wrote:i was reading nba insider today and it was talking about how the knicks want to trade marbury and move crawford to 1 and q rich to 2- plus how they wanted to free up some money
so i thought, how would you guys like this

Butler + Grant
for
Marbury

Marbury doesn't fit into the Lakers scheme. One big draw back is that he's selfish and we already have one of those, so that wouldn't bode well for the team. Another disadvantage is that he is a shoot-first PG, but we are looking for a pass-first PG. Also, he isn't that great defensively, so adding another bad defensive player isn't the direction the Lakers should go in.
ckermott

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:04 am

New offseason scenario (some wishful thinking, mostly realistic)

Sign Walton, do not re-sign Bobbitt, Brown
MLE to Daniels
LLE to Steven Hunter
Waive Vlade
Ask Philly to re-sign Dalembert for 2 years, 11 million so we can do a sign and trade of Slava and Butler for Dalembert

PG Daniels, Chucky, Sasha
SG Kobe, Walton, Wafer
SF Odom, Jones, George
PF Hunter, Grant, Turiaf, Cook
C Dalembert, Mihm, Bynum

Daniels is our PG for the next 2-3 years. Next year we draft a PG, trading up as we need to so as to get a good guy we can groom over the next two seasons until AD's contract is up and Chucky's gone. If Sasha pans out, great. If not, no loss...we'll have the draftee to take over.
SG is solid for years to come.
SF is solid for years to come. George is trade bait.
PF is in good shape if we can get Hunter at LLE. If not, then we can use some of the trade bait listed above to get a better short term PF. Turiaf I fully expect to play heavy minutes by next season (06/07). Grant and Cook are trade bait.
C Dalembert in a 2 year contract gives us a very competent center. Mihm would be a superb backup. Bynum sees few minutes but learns from two decent big men. When either Mihm or Dalmebert's contract is up, we determine whether Bynum is ready to take the leap to starter. If not, we hold on to at least one of the two and use Bynum as our #2.

I think it's a team that could do well this season. Plus, it has such a bright future...
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby ckermott on Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:42 am

It's not a bad proposal. I just don't think Hunter would sign for the LLE, considering his stock is a lot higher than people expect from a good playoff showing. Also, Philly is very weak in the front court. I think they are very hesitant to send Dalembert anywhere, unless the offer is too good to refuse. Plus, good centers are hard to find in this league and Dalembert sure fits the mold of a good center. I'm sure any trade by us would have to include Mihm.
ckermott

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:41 pm

Philly won't have a lot of choices. Dalembert can leave...and Philly's over cap. If we can at least give them a guy who can play time at C and give them a guy to step into the role of SF vacated by Korver, they might not mind "losing" Dalembert. Caron can be a good player in the East and even Slava should be able to be successful in the softer conference.

As for Hunter, I agree that he might not be available for LLE. That would be fine. We'd still have the following expiring contracts to offer to get a PF:

George 5.0, Chucky, 4.5, Jones 1.9, plus Vlade 5.4

The next season, the following would expire:
Grant 15.6, Mihm 4.2, Sasha 1.0

So, as I said, if we could work out something similar to what I listed, we'd be in great shape to continue to add pieces to the puzzle. One starting PF away from a legit contender, I think.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas