Groundless Trade & free agent signing Idea Thread

Postby Sirron on Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:24 pm

I though Dalembert was Restricted FA. I can't think of anything we have that Philly would want though. If they lose him, that's a pretty major hole.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:03 pm

sirronstuff wrote:I though Dalembert was Restricted FA. I can't think of anything we have that Philly would want though. If they lose him, that's a pretty major hole.

If Philly made their qualifying offer of 2.3M then he's a restricted FA. Still, I wonder how high they're willing to go...
EDIT: The sign and trade portion of the Dalembert deal is so we can offer him more than the MLE and make Philly have to go higher, too. There will be a lot of interest in Dalembert even if he's RFA. Still, if they can get another C and a starting SF in the deal, they might bite. The deal would give them Iverson-Iguadola-Butler-Webber at 1-4. They can shop Mashburn for a C. After missing an entire season, there's no telling how good he'll come back but lots of teams would take a chance on him.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Lakersball.com. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:47 am

Here's an article about Drew Gooden not wanting to be traded but also realizing that it might happen and also wanting bigger money. I'd absolutely love if the Lakers could get him at his current salary and get him extended for a few years.

Gooden still seeks stability

By Marcus Thompson II

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Drew Gooden was hanging out in Orlando, Fla., where he lives, when he got a call on his cell phone.

He didn't recognize the number but noticed it had a 216 area code, which is from Cleveland, where he plays. He couldn't help the first thought that came to his head.

"I hope I'm not getting traded," Gooden said to himself before answering the phone.

"Ask just about any player at this time of year," said Gooden, an El Cerrito High School product and Cleveland Cavaliers forward. "If they get a call from the area code of the team they play for, they're going to wonder the same thing at least for a half a second. It's happened to me every summer. I'm ready."

The call turned out to be new Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry, who was making introductory calls to his players. But Gooden is so used to shake-up, so conditioned to instability, that he's prepared for anything.

He is entering his fourth NBA season since leaving Kansas a year early. Cleveland is his third team. Recently hired Mike Brown is his eighth head coach. Gooden is entering the last year of his rookie-scale contract. He is up for a contract extension but figures it's a long shot.

His averages of 14.4 points and 9.2 rebounds from last year, coupled with his affordable $4.066 million salary for the 2005-06 season, make him an attractive trade commodity. So Gooden easily could be playing for his fourth team by the time the season begins.

Even if he stays with Cleveland for the final year of his deal, he'll be a restricted free agent at season's end and possibly on his way to a new team for 2006-07, though the Cavaliers could match any offer sheet he signs.

"It's all about making numbers match," Gooden said. "I'm still on a rookie contract, so I'm expendable. I've been a victim of that.

"Not knowing (your future) is always frustrating, but I always have been in this position since I've been in the NBA."

Gooden said his focus is on the second annual Drew Gooden Basketball Camps, which, according to drewgooden.net, are being held at Merritt College from July 11-15 and in the Cleveland area near the end of July. It's probably the most stable thing in his career.

Gooden said he wants to stay with the Cavaliers and be a key part of the franchise's expected rise to contender status under LeBron James. But the Cavaliers have been getting a face lift since Dan Gilbert bought the franchise earlier this year.

General manager Jim Paxson and coach Paul Silas have been shown the door. Point guard Jeff McGinnis and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas have not been offered contract extensions.

Somehow, Gooden doesn't feel too secure, even though he tied James with a team-high 80 starts and led all starters with 49.2 percent shooting from the field.

He said he understands the logic behind his nomadic career and takes it as a compliment that he's desirable. He has developed a reputation as workhorse in the paint with the versatility to score inside or outside.

Still, he wonders when he will be able to call one place home. He wonders when a team is going to appreciate his value. He wonders when he can answer his phone with ease, no matter what area code shows up on his cell.

"Everybody knows Drew Gooden is a beast on the block and he's going to get you a double-double," Gooden said. "I don't know when I'm going to get that respect. I don't know when a team is going to say, 'We need this cat and we need to put some players around him.' I would like to be a part of something like that."
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby ckermott on Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:39 pm

Gooden would be a good addition if we could work out a sign and trade. Though, he is only 230, very skinny, and seems to be a less talented Lamar Odom. He runs the floor well and is a good rebounder in the east; he's definitely talented.
ckermott

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:59 pm

just to add some spice to the groundless trade thread: does anyone know all the ins and outs of trade exceptions. i think the lakers have three, all worth 1.5-2 million (one expires in a few days, one in august, and one in december). can you use more than one at a time? there could be some interesting possibilities when exceptions get added in, along with the new 25% rule instead of 15% in margin for error when salary matching.

what i'm trying to say is that to the right team, vlade and the trade exceptions could look very attractive. i'll try to come up with some groundless trade rumor that utilizes this...
abeer3

Postby BadNewsBear on Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:09 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:Here's an article about Drew Gooden not wanting to be traded but also realizing that it might happen and also wanting bigger money. I'd absolutely love if the Lakers could get him at his current salary and get him extended for a few years.

If that's the case, we should trade Vlade for him, then trade him to Seattle for a re-signed AD. :man9:
BadNewsBear

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:53 pm

abeer3 wrote:just to add some spice to the groundless trade thread: does anyone know all the ins and outs of trade exceptions. i think the lakers have three, all worth 1.5-2 million (one expires in a few days, one in august, and one in december). can you use more than one at a time? there could be some interesting possibilities when exceptions get added in, along with the new 25% rule instead of 15% in margin for error when salary matching.

what i'm trying to say is that to the right team, vlade and the trade exceptions could look very attractive. i'll try to come up with some groundless trade rumor that utilizes this...

The Lakers have the MLE (which is now 5.1M I think), the LLE (which is like 1.6M) which cannot be used in consecutive years...we still have ours..., and the Vet Minimum (1M?). We've offered the MLE to Antonio Daniels, I believe, and are waiting to hear from him.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby abeer3 on Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:13 am

k0pr0phage wrote:
abeer3 wrote:just to add some spice to the groundless trade thread: does anyone know all the ins and outs of trade exceptions. i think the lakers have three, all worth 1.5-2 million (one expires in a few days, one in august, and one in december). can you use more than one at a time? there could be some interesting possibilities when exceptions get added in, along with the new 25% rule instead of 15% in margin for error when salary matching.

The Lakers have the MLE (which is now 5.1M I think), the LLE (which is like 1.6M) which cannot be used in consecutive years...we still have ours..., and the Vet Minimum (1M?). We've offered the MLE to Antonio Daniels, I believe, and are waiting to hear from him.

trade exceptions are different. i know about the MLE/LLE.
abeer3

Postby epak on Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:20 pm

I heard Mitched had something big coming around. So I did the work for him...

http://realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=2469529

PG: AD (FA signing)
SG: Kobe
SF: Artest
PF: KG
C: Mihm
epak

Postby Sirron on Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:57 pm

epak wrote:I heard Mitched had something big coming around. So I did the work for him...

http://realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=2469529

PG: AD (FA signing)
PF: KG

Nice thought, but for sure Indy never makes that trade.
Sirron

Postby epak on Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:43 am

Hey guys, since the KG trade is "offically" dead, I got a new proposal. Tell me what you think...

http://www1.realgm.com/src_checktrade.p ... id=2472031

Indiana:
Outgoing: Ron Artest, Johnny Bender
Incoming: Paul Pierce
Why: They don't want to deal w/ Ron. They need a 2nd fiddle to J.O. Pierce fits nicely, especially with Reggie retiring.

Boston:
Outgoing: Paul Pierce
Incoming: Lamor Odom, Jumaine Jones
Why: They don't want to deal with PP. Odom would be a monster in the east again. He can actually play power forward there and be an allstar.

Lakers:
Outgoing: Lamor Odom, Jumaine Jones
Incoming: Ron Artest, Johnny Bender
Why: They need more defensive minded people.

Lakers Lineup:

PG: AD or Smush
PF: Turiaf or a healthy Bender

Blah...
epak

Postby Sirron on Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:33 am

:disagree:
Sirron

Postby silversyphon41 on Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:49 am

Tempting, but I'd rather get a proven player with Artest. :disagree:
KOBE + BYNUM & TURIAF + GOOD PG = SELL OUT CROWD! BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS LA!
silversyphon41

Postby LakersCourt on Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:49 pm

I know this is "out there", but this trade does work under the new CBA, and would make Lakers a champioship contender.

The Trade ID for this scenario is 2479074(Real GM)

Before you shoot me down with this, look how much money New Jersey is getting to take off the books. We should push for this
LakersCourt

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:17 pm

Tierre Brown for Kwame Brown. I think that's fair, it's equal value at least. Or closer to equal value than Caron, Vlade, and Miami's pick is.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JimmyPage on Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:50 pm

Wrong thread
JimmyPage

Postby D Nice on Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:07 pm

Lakers Offseason Plan

Lakers Trade the Wizards: Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins for Kwame Brown

Lakers Trade the Raptors: Brian Grant, Sasha Vujacic, and Miami’s 2006 1st Round Pick for Jalen Rose

- Gets rid of a disgruntled Jalen and Gives the Lakers a bench scorer. Toronto gets 2 Future prospects to go along with Grant in Sasha and the future 1st round pick.

Lakers Trade the Blazers: Vlade Divac’s Contract, Devean George, Slava Medvedenko, and a Future 2nd round pick for Theo Ratliff and Ruben Patterson

- Allows the Blazers to be a major free agent player in 06 and/or 07, and saves them a bunch in Luxury Tax penalties, especially if they waive Derek Anderson

Sign Antonio Daniels to the full MLE, and Sign Derek Anderson to the LLE, if waived…

Sign Andrew Bynum, Ronny Turiaf, Smush Parker, and Von Wafer to rookie contracts

Bring Vlade back in the organization as a personnel person (International scout maybe?)

2006 Lineup

PG: Antonio Daniels/Derek Anderson/Smush Parker
SG: Kobe Bryant/Jalen Rose/Jumaine Jones/Von Wafer
SF: Lamar Odom/Jalen Rose/Ruben Patterson
PF: Kwame Brown/Ronny Turiaf/Brian Cook
C: Chris Mihm/Theo Ratliff/Andrew Bynum
D Nice

Postby epak on Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:10 pm

good job dennis nice
epak

Postby they_perch on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:33 pm

how about this, flip murray, he's restricted but we could offer a good deal to the sonics.

from what i've heard their financial situation isnt too great. we could throw cap relief at them, cook's three point shooting (which they lose with radmonovic, he could work the pick w/ allen), and a draft pick for flip murray.

lakers send: vlade's contract to be waived+ brian cook+ draft pick (probably miami's 1st)
in exchange for: ronald "flip" murray

murray is a good ball handler, be perfect in the backcourt w/ kobe. explosive, could easily averaged 14ppg. he's an averaged defender but oh well. we could sign griffin w/ mle. tyronne lue w/ lle.

kwame/mihm/bynum
griffin/grant/turiaf
odom/jj/luke
kobe/wafer/sasha
murray/lue

thats a contender imo. mihm off the bench. griffin rebounds and plays D, spreads the floor for odom and kobe. lue and griffin provide the outside shooting. kobe is kobe. wafer gives us that spark off the bench. lue gives us our strong defender we need. jj/grant/turiaf/mihm/lue gives us a STRONG defensive lineup off the bench. this is triangle tailormade. DO IT.
they_perch

Can Our PG Come from Indiana?

Postby epak on Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:43 am

The Pacers are gonna sign that European guy. So does that mean, Indiana is gonna give up one of their other PGs? Perhaps we can get Fred Jones and J. Bender for a couple of our guys? I think Freddie at the PG would be ok, no?
epak

Postby they_perch on Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:15 am

how about mihm, vlade (to be waived), cook, and miami's 1st rd pick for

chandler and duhon (more than likely pargo as duhon is a keeper for the bulls).

mihm gives them a bigman, affordable.

vlade gives them capspace.

cook is a chicago native.

miami's pick gives them some additional young player in the future to solidify their team.

chandler/kwame/odom/kobe/duhon is a solid solid solid team. even if its just pargo and we sign lue for part of the mle, we'd be a good team. although we lose mihm, we get chandler's defense and rebounding. he and kwame can play either position in the frontcourt, and we have defense, rebounding, as well as a balanced roster.
they_perch

Postby jminges on Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:23 am

Kwame Brown (#1 2001), Tyson Chandler (#2 2001)
Lamar Odom (#4 1999), Jonathan Bender (#5 1999)

PG Derek Anderson / Tyronn Lue or Sasha Vujacic
SG Kobe Bryant / Von Wafer or Laron Profit
SF Lamar Odom / Luke Walton or Jason Kapono
PF Kwame Brown / Jonathan Bender or Ronny Turiaf
C Tyson Chandler / Andrew Bynum or Vlade Divac
Image. LETS GO LA!!!
jminges

Postby they_perch on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:36 pm

well how about we go after terry if we cant sign a free agent.

lakers trade vlade and miamis first round pick to dallas
lakers recieve, jason terry

we get a third team involved

pheonix recieves cook, jj, second round pick.
pheonix trades steven hunter (maybe barbosa

dallas recieves hunter, vlade (cap relief), and first pick from lakers(via miami)

lakers get a starting point guard. nuff said.

pheonix gets something in return for steven hunter, they acquire two three point shooters in cook and jj, and jj actually brings some defense and depth to a team which lacks all of the above. cook can help spread the floor as well off the bench.

dallas recieves a backup bigman in hunter, who they could really use. they get cap relief from vlade, and then they get a first round pick. yes they lose terry, but maybe they feel devin harris is startable now. they can sign a free agent pg in the offseason because they can actually offer a long deal. this deal would be much easier to pull off if we had atkins as well. maybe we could get pheonix to throw in barbosa as well for dallas? w/ nve being waived i see him going to dallas or miami, and if he goes to dallas, they could start nve, have harris come off the bench for good minutes, and not miss terry at all.

i dont care what it takes, terry makes us a contender, throw 2 first picks at them.

we sign lue w/ part of the mle, pick up a veteran bigman to backup mihm. this is our lineup.

mihm/grant/bynum
kwame/slava
lamar/luke/profit
kobe/wafer
terry/lue/sasha

thats a contender imo.
they_perch

Postby Klewfish on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:50 am

D Nice wrote:Lakers Offseason Plan

Lakers Trade the Wizards: Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins for Kwame Brown

Lakers Trade the Raptors: Brian Grant, Sasha Vujacic, and Miami’s 2006 1st Round Pick for Jalen Rose

- Gets rid of a disgruntled Jalen and Gives the Lakers a bench scorer. Toronto gets 2 Future prospects to go along with Grant in Sasha and the future 1st round pick.

Lakers Trade the Blazers: Vlade Divac’s Contract, Devean George, Slava Medvedenko, and a Future 2nd round pick for Theo Ratliff and Ruben Patterson

- Allows the Blazers to be a major free agent player in 06 and/or 07, and saves them a bunch in Luxury Tax penalties, especially if they waive Derek Anderson

Sign Antonio Daniels to the full MLE, and Sign Derek Anderson to the LLE, if waived…

Sign Andrew Bynum, Ronny Turiaf, Smush Parker, and Von Wafer to rookie contracts

Bring Vlade back in the organization as a personnel person (International scout maybe?)

2006 Lineup

PG: Antonio Daniels/Derek Anderson/Smush Parker
SG: Kobe Bryant/Jalen Rose/Jumaine Jones/Von Wafer
SF: Lamar Odom/Jalen Rose/Ruben Patterson
PF: Kwame Brown/Ronny Turiaf/Brian Cook
C: Chris Mihm/Theo Ratliff/Andrew Bynum

only problem with that is kobe is playing 40-42 minutes a game, there is no need for 3 backups, we need a backup PF now that turiaf is gone, and brian cook is garbage
Klewfish
ClubNetsHoops.com Administrator

Postby Klewfish on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:55 am

they_perch wrote:well how about we go after terry if we cant sign a free agent.

lakers trade vlade and miamis first round pick to dallas
lakers recieve, jason terry

we get a third team involved

pheonix recieves cook, jj, second round pick.
pheonix trades steven hunter (maybe barbosa

dallas recieves hunter, vlade (cap relief), and first pick from lakers(via miami)

lakers get a starting point guard. nuff said.

pheonix gets something in return for steven hunter, they acquire two three point shooters in cook and jj, and jj actually brings some defense and depth to a team which lacks all of the above. cook can help spread the floor as well off the bench.

dallas recieves a backup bigman in hunter, who they could really use. they get cap relief from vlade, and then they get a first round pick. yes they lose terry, but maybe they feel devin harris is startable now. they can sign a free agent pg in the offseason because they can actually offer a long deal. this deal would be much easier to pull off if we had atkins as well. maybe we could get pheonix to throw in barbosa as well for dallas? w/ nve being waived i see him going to dallas or miami, and if he goes to dallas, they could start nve, have harris come off the bench for good minutes, and not miss terry at all.

i dont care what it takes, terry makes us a contender, throw 2 first picks at them.

we sign lue w/ part of the mle, pick up a veteran bigman to backup mihm. this is our lineup.

mihm/grant/bynum
kwame/slava
lamar/luke/profit
kobe/wafer
terry/lue/sasha

thats a contender imo.

i like that trade except i think phoenix is getting to much, dallas should get cook, he can learn from nowitzki, and the second roudn pick. then give phoenix, jj and a second rounder. And i also think we are giving up to much for only getting one player in return. maybe we should get like alan henderson from dallas too
Klewfish
ClubNetsHoops.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas