Keep Gasol, trade Bynum

Keep Gasol, trade Bynum

Postby Ludachris on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:21 pm

I know, it sounds crazy. And up until today I've been thinking Bynum should be the one we keep (and only trade him for Howard if it was possible). But I started thinking about it a little more today. Pau is going to start declining more as he ages, but the one thing that could prolong his career would be a high quality PG. What if the Lakers were to trade Bynum for a PG to build around, along with quality pieces? I know it's been talked about before.

Take a look at these trades:
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... Id=89s8hk2
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... Id=7hfw5lr

I know it's asking for quite a bit, but think about it before you blast me. Minnesota is still in a rebuilding phase. They want to keep Love, and they want to pair him with another big, and have shown interest in Gasol. Bynum would be worth more than Gasol, and could be the piece that makes them take a chance on parting ways with Rubio. Now, Rubio isn't the elite PG that Deron Williams would be, but he's got great potential and I don't see us in a position to deal with the Nets anyway - they're going to wait until the summer to see if they can land Howard without a trade. Williams isn't going to be available until at least that point and even then I don't think we can afford to wait another year to see if the Nets get desperate.

The trade would bring us the really good PG we need, a quality center (a downgrade obviously, but good enough), along with a forward that has some potential upside - the guy they've been dangling for Gasol. I think either one helps us - the Beasley trade would give us more offensive production at SF and would give them a defensive guy to replace him, assuming they want to move him. I think we could start Pekovic at center and Gasol at PF, and have Gasol come in at center like he does now for Bynum. Williams would get some good minutes at PF and Rubio would make all the bigs that much more effective.

I think Bynum is a solid player to build around, but I don't know that we're going to be able to get the PG we need and address the depth by trading Gasol. And though he's not a player to build around, we can likely get all star production out of him for a few more years with a solid PG. Rubio would be the player to build around and then we'd look for the next player to pair him with when Kobe and Pau are close to hanging them up in 3-4 years.

Thing is, I don't see us getting Deron Williams as much I'd love to land him. And trading Bynum for Howard doesn't get us anywhere except for thinner in the depth department and likely another Walton-like contract with Turk. We need to find a way to land the next player(s) to build around without going through a full rebuild, and yet, still contend now while Kobe is still in his prime. I think this trade would do that for us. We lose Bynum and all his potential upside and essentially trade that for Rubio. A little risky, but I think it might be worth it. Now would Minnesota do it? Maybe not, but I'd bet they'd think about it.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Re: Keep Gasol, trade Bynum

Postby Ludachris on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Sorry, just noticed my links were bad. Fixed them.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:02 pm

:man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Ludachris on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:26 pm

KeepBynum wrote::man10:

Pretty in-depth analysis there bud. Would you care to elaborate or is that all you're capable of? I agree it doesn't sound great at first, and I've been on the side of keeping Bynum and hoping for that home-run trade to land Howard and/or Deron Williams like others. But I'm beginning to think it's time to get realistic and find other options that will set us up short and long term. I still like the idea of keeping Bynum, but think we may get more in the long term by trading him, yet still be able to win now by retaining Gasol. Feel free to poke holes or offer alternatives.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:40 pm

Ludachris wrote:

Pretty in-depth analysis there bud. Would you care to elaborate or is that all you're capable of? I agree it doesn't sound great at first, and I've been on the side of keeping Bynum and hoping for that home-run trade to land Howard and/or Deron Williams like others. But I'm beginning to think it's time to get realistic and find other options that will set us up short and long term. I still like the idea of keeping Bynum, but think we may get more in the long term by trading him, yet still be able to win now by retaining Gasol. Feel free to poke holes or offer alternatives.

It's simple you don't trade Bynum unless you get a better player in return. None of those players are near Bynum's level of talent and skill therefore it's a TERRIBLE deal. If it comes down to who should be traded between Pau and Bynum its easily Pau. He's still a terrific player, but he's last his prime and will continue to decline. Bynum is 24 years old, the consensus 2nd best center in the league, and has the potential to one day be the best big in the NBA.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Ludachris on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 am

KeepBynum wrote:
Ludachris wrote:

It's simple you don't trade Bynum unless you get a better player in return. None of those players are near Bynum's level of talent and skill therefore it's a TERRIBLE deal. If it comes down to who should be traded between Pau and Bynum its easily Pau. He's still a terrific player, but he's last his prime and will continue to decline. Bynum is 24 years old, the consensus 2nd best center in the league, and has the potential to one day be the best big in the NBA.

I think that's the simple way to look at it, yes. But let's keep in mind that Bynum is one knee injury away from being another Greg Oden. And he's shown flashes of immaturity as recently as last year season, which is a concern. Yes, he's shown great talent and potential, and is producing well this season so far. But Pau's stats this season are almost exactly the same.

And sure, you always want to get equal or better talent when you give up a guy like Bynum. But that's what this trade does, just not in a single player. It gives us more talent across the board and a potentially great PG in Rubio. I know it's a little early to judge him, but he's already shown he has the skills necessary to be a high quality PG in this league. Plus we get depth and potential in Williams at forward and a strong young center in Pekovic.

I know it sounds a little crazy and I might be giving Rubio a little too much credit. I'm just thinking that Bynum is still a little risky and that it might be worth risking moving him and taking a risk elsewhere and holding on to Gasol, who, even if he is going to decline, is still an elite big man near the top of his game that we can get solid production from for another 3-4 years. We have holes to fill to take advantage of Kobe's window and we need to find a player or two to build around. I don't think Pau will get us all that if we trade him. We won't get a Deron Williams for Pau Gasol. We might get him for Drew. I'm just trying to be realistic, among all these dreamers who think we're going to be able to land Howard or Williams, let alone both.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby Elroy Jetson on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:08 am

I don't see LA Trading Gasol or Bynum. After losing Odom, I don't think LA wants to lose another champion.

With 3 years left on his contract, trading Gasol would be just straight disrespect ..and Bynum has 2 years and way too much potential to be traded away. LA always has and always will keep the biggest and best players. Though at times we'll feel like someone needs to light a fire up under Gasol's a... I don't want to see him go, and I don't think he'll be gone any time soon.
Elroy Jetson

Postby Phil XI on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:47 pm

Well in reality, Bynum has a team option that will have to be picked up by June and then he will be due a max money extension, and that deal will have to be inked by November if you do not want the massive distraction it will cause (and further upheaval in the already fragile front office).

This, as one above says, with the hovering weight of "one knee injury away from being another Greg Oden" and a potential 75 mil or so shotgun pointed at the Lakers by Bynum's punk agent (let's not forget the Ariza debacle) beginning July 1st if Bynum remains healthy for the rest of this season and continues to play at a high level.

Outside of Jim Buss's bromance with Bynum, it's not inconceivable to think of Bynum as a trade chip beyond Dwight... but definitely for an A to A- level piece which is what his price would be right now. Pau's price will not bring even a B+ piece right now.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 pm

The only trades I am pulling the trigger on as far as trading Bynum are....

Bynum for Marc Gasol / Mike Conley

Bynum for Granger / Hibbert / Hill
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby KB24 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:37 am

ya, lets get some older... :jam2:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby bystander on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:44 am

Phil XI wrote:Pau's price will not bring even a B+ piece right now.

Pau + fillers after the playoffs brought Chris Paul.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Phil XI on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Not really. CP3 was demanding out which is different than what is available now, and NOH did not want Pau directly for CP3. He had to bring back useful parts and from a team with a plan to use him (in tandem with the Rox Nene or MarcG FA move). Houston wouldn't do that deal now since those players are locked up. The only team I could imagine would entertain a Pau trade, outside of the 'rumored' Minny, is Indy. And I don't think Collison + West is enough for Pau.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Kobe24Magic32 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 pm

I'd do it, but Minny said they weren't trading Rubio
Kobe24Magic32

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas