Mitch Kupchak

Mitch Kupchak

Postby Lakers#1fan on Wed May 10, 2006 10:55 pm

Don't you guys think we should fire Mitch Kupchak? because he makes the stupidest moves in the offseason. We need Jerry West back as our GM(he's the one who brought Shaq and kobe to the lakers) :bang:

I would be a better GM than Mitch Kupchak.
Lakers#1fan

Postby Dizzmal on Wed May 10, 2006 11:10 pm

Sure you would. Everyone thinks they would.
Dizzmal

Postby trips on Thu May 11, 2006 12:26 am

I say we fire mitch and hire Kiki Vandeweigh, did I spell that right? :man10:
trips

Postby SOAD on Thu May 11, 2006 12:30 am

People don't understand that you can't be a champion every single year. It took the Lakers a grand total of one year to get back to the playoffs after their old broken down championship team was converted to a young team with potential (but with holes). Some wise minor trades and signings added along with the experience they got against the Suns and the experience they will get this next season, the Lakers will be ok.

Besides that, I really believe Mitch has very little say in what goes on. Moves are made to make Phil happy and they are approved by Doc Buss. I don't know about you but I have a lot of faith in those two men.
SIXTEEN
SOAD
Club-Dodgers.com Admin

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Thu May 11, 2006 3:22 am

Mitch isn't good GM, I don't care about excuses, I just look at roster and I can say that Kupchak has done poor job.
Jerry West build dynasty, not Mitch...
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby SOAD on Thu May 11, 2006 8:10 am

The Kobe Era 2K5 wrote:Mitch isn't good GM, I don't care about excuses, I just look at roster and I can say that Kupchak has done poor job.
Jerry West build dynasty, not Mitch...

Mitch isn't even a GM. His a scapegoat for while we re-build.
SIXTEEN
SOAD
Club-Dodgers.com Admin

Postby alex58 on Thu May 11, 2006 5:58 pm

I thought that I will never write any more notes here , but when it comes to Mitch , I cann't help it...
there is a GM who is willing to discuss even the impossible trades just to improve the team, and obviously , our GM is not even closer.
As I said so many times , Mitch lost his respect among the others GM's , because of his foolish moves , and continues mistakes. It will be almost impossible for any GM to trust the capability of Mitch.
Therfore he should go , and lets try to find someone who can communicate , discuss and convience the other teams .
We need some one else so bad.
Magic , the only way to bring back the go0d old days.
alex58

Postby Black Sheep91 on Thu May 11, 2006 7:12 pm

we went from a roster full of talent to a roster which is one of the worst in the league...
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator

Re: Mitch Kupchak

Postby thevilOne on Sat May 13, 2006 9:10 pm

Lakers#1fan wrote:Don't you guys think we should fire Mitch Kupchak?

YES!
thevilOne

Postby 10scott10 on Sat May 13, 2006 10:05 pm

SOAD wrote:People don't understand that you can't be a champion every single year. It took the Lakers a grand total of one year to get back to the playoffs after their old broken down championship team was converted to a young team with potential (but with holes). Some wise minor trades and signings added along with the experience they got against the Suns and the experience they will get this next season, the Lakers will be ok.

Besides that, I really believe Mitch has very little say in what goes on. Moves are made to make Phil happy and they are approved by Doc Buss. I don't know about you but I have a lot of faith in those two men.

it is really all jim buss. he is the current head of basketball operations. the same position jerry west had until he left.
10scott10

Postby trips on Sun May 14, 2006 12:59 am

Mitch couldn't even sell his own soul. Why hasn't Jerry Buss noticed it yet? Mitch expects things to just fall on his lap. "We don't anticipate any major changes in our roster..." fire Mitch, don't even give him a job as a ballboy.
trips

Postby lakerfanimal on Sun May 14, 2006 1:15 am

who do u guys think wud replace him if he were fired. i dont want kiki. i think if buss does fire kupchak, hes gona havta make somebody a first time gm.
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby Gramps on Sun May 14, 2006 1:10 pm

trpldblr_8 wrote:Mitch couldn't even sell his own soul. Why hasn't Jerry Buss noticed it yet?

The only answer is that he isn't as smart as you and the rest of the experts here at CL who know everything about owning and managing a multi-million-dollar business.
Gramps
Laker Fan Since 1970

Postby eNlight on Sun May 14, 2006 2:19 pm

i want magic to replace mitch.
eNlight

Postby trips on Sun May 14, 2006 2:49 pm

Gramps wrote:
trpldblr_8 wrote:Mitch couldn't even sell his own soul. Why hasn't Jerry Buss noticed it yet?

The only answer is that he isn't as smart as you and the rest of the experts here at CL who know everything about owning and managing a multi-million-dollar business.
Go ahead and hop on Jerry's bandwagon cause if you can't see Mitch's inability to get things done you're just as blind as him.
trips

Postby Gramps on Sun May 14, 2006 3:44 pm

trpldblr_8 wrote:
Gramps wrote:

Go ahead and hop on Jerry's bandwagon cause if you can't see Mitch's inability to get things done you're just as blind as him.

Excellent support of your position.
Gramps
Laker Fan Since 1970

Postby trips on Sun May 14, 2006 8:03 pm

Gramps wrote:
trpldblr_8 wrote:
Gramps wrote:

Excellent support of your position.
Thanks.
trips

Postby ilovelakers on Mon May 15, 2006 2:05 am

Sure we don't like the guy, but remember, correct me if I'm wrong, he chose kobe, and not shaq... other than that, there will never be an 81 point game if kobe was playing else where....
ilovelakers

Re: Mitch Kupchak

Postby The Laker Link on Mon May 15, 2006 6:35 am

Lakers#1fan wrote:Don't you guys think we should fire Mitch Kupchak? because he makes the stupidest moves in the offseason. We need Jerry West back as our GM(he's the one who brought Shaq and kobe to the lakers) :bang:

I would be a better GM than Mitch Kupchak.

Wait for the off-season and then if he fails...dump him and his gay '08 plan on their butts outside staples center...and never look back or say thanks....
The Laker Link

Postby msb212 on Mon May 15, 2006 10:01 am

what a bunch of whining morons in this thread. Mitch has done a pretty credible job. Kwame turned out not to be a bust. Lamar has continued to evolve into the player we want him to be. Bynum is reagrded league wide as a find. Sasha actually shows some potential. Despite the last 3 games of the season, Smush was a steal. Turiaf is defintiely a great pick. Shaq is done, and we kept Kobe who will keep us at or near the top for the next 6 years. And we are in a position to make a major FA play next summer.

For thise of you winers, what exactly would you like Mitch to have done differenly. And no, you can't have shaq and Kobe, cause the big fatso wanted out.
msb212

Postby c.Lin on Mon May 15, 2006 11:49 am

msb212 wrote:what a bunch of whining morons in this thread. Mitch has done a pretty credible job. Kwame turned out not to be a bust. Lamar has continued to evolve into the player we want him to be. Bynum is reagrded league wide as a find. Sasha actually shows some potential. Despite the last 3 games of the season, Smush was a steal. Turiaf is defintiely a great pick. Shaq is done, and we kept Kobe who will keep us at or near the top for the next 6 years. And we are in a position to make a major FA play next summer.

For thise of you winers, what exactly would you like Mitch to have done differenly. And no, you can't have shaq and Kobe, cause the big fatso wanted out.

Your post would be a little more credible if it were without the "whining morons" and "big fatso" remarks.
c.Lin

Postby jimbo327 on Mon May 22, 2006 4:05 pm

msb212 wrote:what a bunch of whining morons in this thread. Mitch has done a pretty credible job. Kwame turned out not to be a bust. Lamar has continued to evolve into the player we want him to be. Bynum is reagrded league wide as a find. Sasha actually shows some potential. Despite the last 3 games of the season, Smush was a steal. Turiaf is defintiely a great pick. Shaq is done, and we kept Kobe who will keep us at or near the top for the next 6 years. And we are in a position to make a major FA play next summer.

How about the wasted expiring contracts last summer? How about not resigning Gump or Slava? How about not signing players who is at the brink of breaking down every year? How about actually getting some talent on the fricken bench or at least some trade value so at least we can get someone to actually talk with us? How about showing some courtesy and respect to players, like a line of communication called a phone call, even if you are going to deal them? How about getting some deals with the new amnesty rule last offseason?

Smush? Another of Mitch's complete retardness of waiting for gold to drop out of the sky. Bynum? Not even his call and is not such a "find". Odom? That's the least we could have gotten for Shaq. Kwame? That is still an unknown, powering over smaller guys on Phoenix is not a definite proof. Let's see him take on guys his own size. Besides, Caron is doing pretty well in Wizards last I checked...so is it really a complete steal? The jury is still out on that. And guys we have actual trade value, we just deal them for second rounders, which won't be helping out the team now. So yeah, we are just watching Kobe waste his prime away, while Mitch is doing his crossword puzzle.
jimbo327

Postby Sky on Mon May 22, 2006 5:17 pm

msb212 wrote:For thise of you winers, what exactly would you like Mitch to have done differenly. And no, you can't have shaq and Kobe, cause the big fatso wanted out.

Man how many times have I answered this question? Oh well, one more time with apologies to Gramps as I've answered the same question from him. Before you hit me with well that's just hindsight these were all things I was saying at the time (of the trade, on that draft day or prior to it, when the player was shopped, etc).

2000 Kong trade - Shift the #1 to NY from 2001 (an incredibly deep year) to 2002. Take Arenas. To Kupchak's credit he wanted Arenas and tried to trade back into that draft to take Gilbert. But he failed. Natch.

Deadline 2001 - Pull the trigger on last years for Jason Terry or Theo Ratliff. Ate the last years instead.

Summer 2002 - Full MLE on Chauncey Billups.

Deadline 2002 - Trade Pargo and a #2 for Trenton Hassell. He was shopped leaguewide before Chicago cut him, and after they cut him they picked up...Jannero Pargo.

Draft 2003 - Draft Barbosa not Cook.

Deadline 2003 - Trade Horry for Casell, was on the table and offered to them in the final hour of the deadline.

Draft 2004 - Trade #1 to Atlanta for Boris Diaw. If they keep the pick take Varejao, not the scarecrow.

Just do those suggested moves from 2002 on (except for Sam) and look at the roster:

SF Diaw, Walton
PF Odom, Turiaf
C Kwame, Mihm, Bynum
SG Kobe, Hassell
PG Billups, Barbosa

Read it and weep. I do.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby no_dont on Mon May 22, 2006 5:31 pm

Take prince, Booz. Those 2 alone makes us better. waaaaaaaaay better. 2 guys that produced in college yet Kup fails to take that into account.
HO-BE
no_dont

Postby Gramps on Mon May 22, 2006 6:56 pm

And with my apologies to Sky, I will say the same thing I have said to him and many of you.

A rare few of you, have managed to articulate and support a possible plan for improving the team BEFORE any deals and picks were made. 99% of the stuff tossed out there was pipe. Except for Sky, none of you has even come close to presenting a plan that actually may have put together a playoff team after the Shaq trade. (And please don’t say the Shaq trade was Mitch’s fault). So, based on this Sky is either pretty lucky or pretty smart. My guess is the latter.

However not even Sky is privy to all that goes on within the organization (who made what decisions and why) and therefore not confined to the same restrictions and situations Mitch is. Without that type of detail, none of you is in a position to be take seriously when you act like you know all about it. (Sky, you always qualify your positions, which I respectfully appreciate.)

However, the bottom line is that Dr. Buss, is a very successful businessman. He owns the Lakers and is not in it to loose money. He has demonstrated over and over again his desire and willingness to keep the Lakers the premier sports franchise.

Dr. Buss has stated that Mitch is an excellent GM. So either he is lying or he actually thinks Mitch is doing well. You have no other rational choice here.

I think Buss thinks Mitch is a good GM because Mitch is still employed. Buss is not in this to loose money or credibility.

Therefore, if Buss thinks Mitch is a good GM and you think he sucks, I’ll take Buss’ opinion on this issue every time.

Simply stated, Buss is smarter and more experienced in this area than you are, so his opinion counts more.

You can yell and scream “Mitch is an idiot” all you want. But some of you think that the louder you say it the more true it becomes.

But, if you really want someone to hear you, support your position with real solutions and show your credentials.
Gramps
Laker Fan Since 1970

Next

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas