Off-Season signing idea..

Off-Season signing idea..

Postby LakersFTW on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:00 pm

One thing that I see glaring in the lakers game right now is a lack of defense .. and a speedy point guard.

Derek Fisher is a competent pg. He's a big-time knockdown shooter. His place is safe. Jordan Farmar on the other hand - not so much. Farmar was one of my favorites actually last year and the beginning of this year.. but now, he's a liability. Unless he can recover from his slump next season - I say let him go. One thing I think that we need, and not necessarily as a starter, is a speedy point guard.

As for the defensive thing .. one person isn't going to change things. It'll make a microscopic difference at most. My idea for defensive help is in the inside. Andrew Bynum gets the job done pretty well. Pau Gasol though - not-so-much. Sure, they'll get a block or two.. but they're not the type to actively contest *every* shot.

So.. here are my ideas. I believe we'll have a couple of spots open pending we don't resign Mbenga .

Point Guard - Von Wafer. He's 40% from the 3 point line.. but more importantly, he can penetrate and collapse the defense. He has experience with the Lakers .. so it wouldn't be *that* much of a problem getting him used to the triangle. The only thing they'd really need him for is that reason.. and keeping up with the Chris Pauls of the NBA. His decent shooting touch is a nice addition.

Defensive Pressure - "The Birdman" Chris Andersen. He's about as hard of a player as you'll find in the NBA right now. He chases after EVERYTHING. He's ALWAYS trailing behind on a play getting the offensive rebound or tip-in.. and most importantly, HIS BLOCKS! Seriously.. he's number 2 in the NBA right now in blocks and he's only playing like 15 - 20 minutes A GAME! Dwight Howard if i'm not mistaken is #1 and he's a freakin' STARTER and not to mention the heart of Orlando Magic.

So with those two signings, we get someone who'll be able to not only keep up with the other PG's (since Fish and Farmar aren't exactly effectively able to do that..) and someone who you know will absolutely bring everything's he's got to the floor with him and absolutely contest *every* inside shot attempt. Neither are huge contracts .. so clear up a couple mil of space and you've got your contracts (Adam Morrison, i'm looking at you!)

Nothing groundbreaking.. no superstars .. just a couple of competent roleplayers that'll help some of the weaknesses the Lakers currently have.

What do you think?!
LakersFTW

Re: Off-Season signing idea..

Postby Larry14r on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:05 am

LakersFTW wrote:One thing that I see glaring in the lakers game right now is a lack of defense .. and a speedy point guard.

Derek Fisher is a competent pg. He's a big-time knockdown shooter. His place is safe. Jordan Farmar on the other hand - not so much. Farmar was one of my favorites actually last year and the beginning of this year.. but now, he's a liability. Unless he can recover from his slump next season - I say let him go. One thing I think that we need, and not necessarily as a starter, is a speedy point guard.

As for the defensive thing .. one person isn't going to change things. It'll make a microscopic difference at most. My idea for defensive help is in the inside. Andrew Bynum gets the job done pretty well. Pau Gasol though - not-so-much. Sure, they'll get a block or two.. but they're not the type to actively contest *every* shot.

So.. here are my ideas. I believe we'll have a couple of spots open pending we don't resign Mbenga .

Point Guard - Von Wafer. He's 40% from the 3 point line.. but more importantly, he can penetrate and collapse the defense. He has experience with the Lakers .. so it wouldn't be *that* much of a problem getting him used to the triangle. The only thing they'd really need him for is that reason.. and keeping up with the Chris Pauls of the NBA. His decent shooting touch is a nice addition.

Defensive Pressure - "The Birdman" Chris Andersen. He's about as hard of a player as you'll find in the NBA right now. He chases after EVERYTHING. He's ALWAYS trailing behind on a play getting the offensive rebound or tip-in.. and most importantly, HIS BLOCKS! Seriously.. he's number 2 in the NBA right now in blocks and he's only playing like 15 - 20 minutes A GAME! Dwight Howard if i'm not mistaken is #1 and he's a freakin' STARTER and not to mention the heart of Orlando Magic.

So with those two signings, we get someone who'll be able to not only keep up with the other PG's (since Fish and Farmar aren't exactly effectively able to do that..) and someone who you know will absolutely bring everything's he's got to the floor with him and absolutely contest *every* inside shot attempt. Neither are huge contracts .. so clear up a couple mil of space and you've got your contracts (Adam Morrison, i'm looking at you!)

Nothing groundbreaking.. no superstars .. just a couple of competent roleplayers that'll help some of the weaknesses the Lakers currently have.

What do you think?!

We had our chance at VON wafer and we blew it, and I don't think he wants to come back here, and also who wants to trade with us because our players are junk if you to fill those needs then go in the draft and get them because I think some of those college players are ready to play in the NBA.
Larry14r

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:14 am

no
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby leakbrewergator on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:38 am

I would lose a little bit of my fanhood if "Birdman" EVER made our roster.

Miami ThreeTARDS- Duh Wayne 'Fraid, Piss Posh, LeBrat Shames
leakbrewergator

Postby DefenseWins on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:43 am

I am trash.
DefenseWins

Postby nameant on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:47 am

Von Wafer at PG, that's scary.
nameant

Postby chahal-24 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:28 pm

leakbrewergator wrote:I would lose a little bit of my fanhood if "Birdman" EVER made our roster.
chahal-24

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas