Possible impact of Brevin Knight trade

Possible impact of Brevin Knight trade

Postby trodgers on Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:08 pm

Hoopshype is talking about the possiblity of Brevin Knight being traded. Two teams listed are Portland and Raptors. Now, there are two ways to look at this situation. Knight would rather go to a contender, obviously, which LA is certainly closer to being than the two teams mentioned. On the other hand, if he goes to Portland, this could open up the posiblity of Blake coming cheaply (maybe as cheaply as Cook). First time most of this stuff has legs.

Mihm for Knight straight up works. Knight has two years remaining (second is a team option) on his contract. Brezec, who started for Charlotte at C only plays about 27 mpg, so Mihm would at least be playing 20 mpg at Charlotte. He'd be worth it...and he's probably better than Brezec when he's healthy anyway. I know Knight misses some games every year, and he'll be 31 at the start of next season, but he is, without any doubt, a massive upgrade over our current situation.

The other situation would be Cook (perhaps) for Blake. We wouldn't give up much, would get a solid, young defender at the #1, and we'd still have our MLE available.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Postby LUUUKE on Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:14 pm

didnt kobe make fun of im for being short?

this wont work out
what's the most resilient parasite?
Image
User avatar
LUUUKE

 
Posts: 7623
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:47 am
Location: obscurity

Postby Black Sheep91 on Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:32 pm

Knight wont work. He can't hit jumpers and thats what the triangle is for plus he's to short.
User avatar
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator
 
Posts: 7645
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:04 am
Location: PA

Postby trodgers on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:42 pm

Yeah. He actually has a good jumper, but not at 3pt range. The other suggestion, as I noted, would be that he could go elsewhere. If that's Portland, then that could REALLY open up the possibility (discussed elsewhere, for other reasons) of getting Blake. And possibly Miles ultimately.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Possible impact of Brevin Knight trade

Postby Alleyhoops on Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:29 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:Hoopshype is talking about the possiblity of Brevin Knight being traded. Two teams listed are Portland and Raptors. Now, there are two ways to look at this situation. Knight would rather go to a contender, obviously, which LA is certainly closer to being than the two teams mentioned. On the other hand, if he goes to Portland, this could open up the posiblity of Blake coming cheaply (maybe as cheaply as Cook). First time most of this stuff has legs.

Mihm for Knight straight up works. Knight has two years remaining (second is a team option) on his contract. Brezec, who started for Charlotte at C only plays about 27 mpg, so Mihm would at least be playing 20 mpg at Charlotte. He'd be worth it...and he's probably better than Brezec when he's healthy anyway. I know Knight misses some games every year, and he'll be 31 at the start of next season, but he is, without any doubt, a massive upgrade over our current situation.

The other situation would be Cook (perhaps) for Blake. We wouldn't give up much, would get a solid, young defender at the #1, and we'd still have our MLE available.

Trading big for small is generally a bad idea. Mihm is a skilled big man and should definitely bring more on the market than Knight .
Image
User avatar
Alleyhoops

 
Posts: 4294
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Culver City California

Postby trodgers on Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:32 pm

^ You know that Knight was 3rd in Assists, 1st in Steals among PGs, in addition to being one of the better defenders at the spot? I'm not sure what more you can get for Mihm, to be quite honest.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Postby PhifeDogg76 on Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:30 pm

besides that he gives the ball up and hes not a guy who wants to be "THE MAN" hes a good role player that can dish assists like odom
Image

new draft new year
User avatar
PhifeDogg76

 
Posts: 1782
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: great western forum since 80

Postby Rabbit on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:29 pm

He'd be all right by me, but if he goes to Portland, I want Telfair instead. I want a flashy playmaker. Think of the dimes he'd drop to 24.
C'mon, Coney Island! :jam2:
KB8@CL wrote:In Buss I trust.

User avatar
Rabbit

 
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:46 pm
Location: The Cone Zone

Postby KB24 on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:29 am

Knight is such a terrible triangle fit IMO. We know how Phil likes little small guards.

Blake is a very good idea, he is 6-3, can defend and can shoot. Knight only excels with the ball in his hands and he has to be the faciliator which he won´t be able to do in the triangle and with Kobe and Lamar handling the ball he might not even get many touches. I´m not really sold on the idea of Knight tho I think in the right circumstances hewould make a hellova difference.
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55531
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby A Rush on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:15 am

Sorry but Mihm for Brevin Knight straight up might very well be the worst idea I've heard so far. Are you insane? Knight solves none of our problems. Too short (we get killed on the pick and roll as it is; now you want a sub-six footer to cover guys like Diaw on the switch?), can't shoot the three, misses 15 games per season (at least), ball-dominant PG... Horrible fit.
A Rush

 
Posts: 2356
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:32 am

Postby trodgers on Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:19 am

A Rush wrote:Sorry but Mihm for Brevin Knight straight up might very well be the worst idea I've heard so far. Are you insane? Knight solves none of our problems. Too short (we get killed on the pick and roll as it is; now you want a sub-six footer to cover guys like Diaw on the switch?), can't shoot the three, misses 15 games per season (at least), ball-dominant PG... Horrible fit.

I understand that you didn't read my post, but this isn't grade school so I won't tell you to go back and read it. I'll just deal with Knight in LA. Knight is another good defender at the PG spot who can initiate without any doubt. I grant the injury thing; dude is almost guaranteed to miss double digit games. He would solve several of our problems: Someone who can cover PGs well, someone who can initiate to take away some of the burden from Odom and Kobe. Even if he were ball-dominant, he makes very good decisions. It wouldn't be a bad thing at all if he had the ball in his hands. 2nd among all qualified players in AP48, 2nd in AST/TO ratio, 8th in Steal/TO ratio, 6th in Steals/Touch Foul. Almost seems as if he knows what he's doing defensively.

Plays under control and makes good decisions... Great quickness... Excellent defender on the ball... Hard to see him missing that 18-foot shot... Not a threat from beyond the arc... Undersized... Injury prone.
Yes. Difficult to see what he could do for us.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Postby dj vitus on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:50 am

k0pr0phage wrote:
A Rush wrote:Sorry but Mihm for Brevin Knight straight up might very well be the worst idea I've heard so far. Are you insane? Knight solves none of our problems. Too short (we get killed on the pick and roll as it is; now you want a sub-six footer to cover guys like Diaw on the switch?), can't shoot the three, misses 15 games per season (at least), ball-dominant PG... Horrible fit.

I understand that you didn't read my post, but this isn't grade school so I won't tell you to go back and read it. I'll just deal with Knight in LA. Knight is another good defender at the PG spot who can initiate without any doubt. I grant the injury thing; dude is almost guaranteed to miss double digit games. He would solve several of our problems: Someone who can cover PGs well, someone who can initiate to take away some of the burden from Odom and Kobe. Even if he were ball-dominant, he makes very good decisions. It wouldn't be a bad thing at all if he had the ball in his hands. 2nd among all qualified players in AP48, 2nd in AST/TO ratio, 8th in Steal/TO ratio, 6th in Steals/Touch Foul. Almost seems as if he knows what he's doing defensively.

Plays under control and makes good decisions... Great quickness... Excellent defender on the ball... Hard to see him missing that 18-foot shot... Not a threat from beyond the arc... Undersized... Injury prone.
Yes. Difficult to see what he could do for us.

Phil Jackson is looking for a tall PG who can stroke the 3 that can fit in his system. What's the use of getting a decent player if he doesn't fit in the triangle? End of story.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
User avatar
dj vitus

 
Posts: 9480
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Walnut, CA by way of Laaaas Vegas!


Return to Trade and Signing Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.