Simple Pau to OKC

Simple Pau to OKC

Postby Phil XI on Wed May 18, 2011 12:51 am

What does OKC need? A true post scorer to open up the wings and outside, and they don't get that from Perkins, Jumping Jack, Collison, and Nazr.

What do the Lakers need? A top flight PG while not hurting their 'big' depth too much. But they do have two very valueable 7 footers with which to dangle.

Before 7/1
Gasol for Westbrook, Collison

Solves OKCs interior scoring while also giving them an improved back up C. At PG they have the improving Maynor, Nate Rob, and they often use Harden to initiate the O in a mini-Odom like manner. They could use their 1st in the 20's to take a solid playmaker like Nolan Smith to groom to replace Nate after 1 yr apprenticeship.

Solves LA's PG problem in spades. Collison is solid as both a backup 4 or 5, plays strong D, competes on the boards and has a bit of an offensive game. Also, his salary goes from 13 mil right now to 3 mil next year and declines each year. As important, the Lakers save 10 mil next season and get back into the 80 mil in payroll range while becoming younger and more athletic.

Westbrook/Blake/Trey
Kobe/Westbrook/2nd
Ron/Barnes/Ebanks
Odom/Collison/DC
Bynum/Collison/2nd

*Fish retires to coach or work full time for the players assoc and handle negotiations
*Luke is jetted if amnesty comes and joins the Laker broadcast team

Maynor/Nate/1st
Harden/Thabo/Cook
Durant/Thabo/Cook
Pau/Ibaka/2nd
Perkins/Pau/Aldrich or Mullens
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Re: Simple Pau to OKC

Postby khmrP on Wed May 18, 2011 10:56 am

horrible....as great as Westbrook is, he is a shoot 1st PG, evident by last nites gm, if he's not hitting his shot he's useless. Pau would OWN Odom everytime we play them :man10:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Sat May 21, 2011 5:18 pm

What's funny is that this absolutely crossed my mind.

The problem I think is that they've already given Perkins that contract extension. With Ibaka, a young athletic PF with a lot of upside, there's really an odd fit all of a sudden for the Thunder and Gasol. I think he'd be great for them though.

And Westbrook in LA would be great. They other problem is that the Thunder would then have to give the PG reins to Maynor and he's not cut out for that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun May 22, 2011 8:51 pm

I would do it, because we get Collison as well and he's a solid backup. I know people are saying Westbrook is ball dominant, and he is, but in LA Kobe is king, and there's no way even his giant ego would let him think he's better than Kobe. Kobe doesn't have that nice personality that Durant has, you either get behind and follow Kobe or he'll make you lol.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 23, 2011 1:00 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3nuht79

Do you think OKC would bite on this trade. (I only through Nate Rob in too match salaries)

Pau / Odom / Blake / TPE / 2 2nd round picks for Westbrook / Ibaka / Collison / Aldrich / Someone to match salaries

Lakers lineup:
Westbrook / Fisher / Trey
Kobe / MLE shooter-defender / Vet. Minimum shooter
Artest / Barnes / Ebanks
Ibaka / Collison / Caracter
Bynum / Aldrich / Vet. Min Big

OKC lineup:
Blake / Maynor
Sefolosha / Harden / Cook
Durant / MLE backup
Pau / Odom
Perkins / Mohammed

Why OKC does it:

They get rid of a potential problem in Westbrook and replace him with a point guard that is a true point guard that can run the offense they want to run. They add a top PF in the league in Pau that can be their number 2 scoring option so that Durant can really shine as the number 1 option and they get a legit post scoring threat. OKC also gets Mr. Versatile 6th man of the year to replace Collison. They also get 2 2nd round picks and Sasha's TPE to bring in guys that they want.

Why LA does it:

Point guard problem - Check
Perimeter defense - Check (fully checked when they sign a suitable backup for the job at the 2, that can shoot as well)
Post Defense - Check (Bynum and Ibaka would be ridiculous on the defensive end)
We also get a backup big in Aldrich, who is a big body and we can look to get more perimeter players that can fit our needs.

Its a tough decision on both ends because both teams will be addressing needs that they have, while giving up good players along the way. If were going for Westbrook might as well sweeten the pot and see what else we can get.

I think its a fair trade as both sides are replacing good players with good players.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon May 23, 2011 12:57 pm

you guys acknowledge that Westbrook thinks he's the best player even playing with a YOUNG Durant, why would his mindset change playing next to an OLD Kobe? Westbrook problems seems to suggest he wants his OWN team, meaning he is the #1 guy, with Kobe/Bynum here I dont see how that changes his "issue"....yea he'll be back in LA but I doubt he'll want to play 2nd fiddle here when he can't do it playing next to another top 5 player.
khmrP

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:44 pm

You guys must think a 30 year old Pau Gasol who just came off his worst playoffs can net everyone in the league. :man10: :man10:

Westbrook isn't going anywhere. He's only 21 years old and he is producing at the level of Rose.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby Phil XI on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:14 pm

^ wholly disagree and your "men" don't just make you right. if anything, OKC is underpaying.

OKC just learned a serious lesson - with no 20 ppg post threat, their outside high flying game is 'shut-downable'. They need a Pau, someone who is a low block threat on every possession.

With Durant and Harden, they are duo future all-star set on the wing. Maynor and Natedog drop from Westbrook would be easily eclipsed by what Pau brings (something they sorely lack). And with Perkins/Ibaka they have solid interior D. Westbrook is the one piece they 'could' use to get a player of Pau's caliber.
And while 30, Pau brings vet leadership that immature Perkins cannot, plus 3 finals and 2 rings to teach the youngins, and knows how to be #2 to a top 3 player.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby captainhoop on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Nope. Pass.
HUGE LOS ANGELES LAKERS FAN & BASKETBALL CARD COLLECTOR!
CLICK ON THE BANNER FOR MY TRADELIST.

captainhoop

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:23 pm

jmoney4123 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3nuht79

Do you think OKC would bite on this trade. (I only through Nate Rob in too match salaries)

Pau / Odom / Blake / TPE / 2 2nd round picks for Westbrook / Ibaka / Collison / Aldrich / Someone to match salaries

Lakers lineup:
Westbrook / Fisher / Trey
Kobe / MLE shooter-defender / Vet. Minimum shooter
Artest / Barnes / Ebanks
Ibaka / Collison / Caracter
Bynum / Aldrich / Vet. Min Big

OKC lineup:
Blake / Maynor
Sefolosha / Harden / Cook
Durant / MLE backup
Pau / Odom
Perkins / Mohammed

Why OKC does it:

They get rid of a potential problem in Westbrook and replace him with a point guard that is a true point guard that can run the offense they want to run. They add a top PF in the league in Pau that can be their number 2 scoring option so that Durant can really shine as the number 1 option and they get a legit post scoring threat. OKC also gets Mr. Versatile 6th man of the year to replace Collison. They also get 2 2nd round picks and Sasha's TPE to bring in guys that they want.

Why LA does it:

Point guard problem - Check
Perimeter defense - Check (fully checked when they sign a suitable backup for the job at the 2, that can shoot as well)
Post Defense - Check (Bynum and Ibaka would be ridiculous on the defensive end)
We also get a backup big in Aldrich, who is a big body and we can look to get more perimeter players that can fit our needs.

Its a tough decision on both ends because both teams will be addressing needs that they have, while giving up good players along the way. If were going for Westbrook might as well sweeten the pot and see what else we can get.

I think its a fair trade as both sides are replacing good players with good players.

I like this a lot, but too bad it just won't happen.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas