Spurs and Lakers Trade Proposal

Spurs and Lakers Trade Proposal

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:52 pm

How about Mihm and Cook to the Spurs for Bowen and Finely. The salaries match closely according to Hoopshype.

The Spurs aren't getting any younger and it seems that they are about to lose 2 centers in Nestorivich and Mohammed. Mihm would fill the center position while Cook would be a younger shooter to replace Finley on the bench.

Bowen and Finely will provide veteran experience that the Lakers need while their contracts are short and won't run long. It seems like a good deal for both teams.

Comments?
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:58 pm

Doesn't seem like a good deal for the Spurs to me. Sure the Spurs get a center, but they lose Bowen, thier best defender and a good spot up 3 point shooter and they lose Finley, who had an ok year last year. What do they get besides a serviceable center? Why would they want Brian Cook?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby G on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:04 pm

G

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:10 pm

I don't know that Bowen can cover PGs so it's not clear that we get any help on that front. Then again, he can cover any 2 or 3 in the league so he'd be huge. I really don't see the Spurs giving up on Bowen quite yet.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:11 pm

Weezy wrote:Doesn't seem like a good deal for the Spurs to me. Sure the Spurs get a center, but they lose Bowen, thier best defender and a good spot up 3 point shooter and they lose Finley, who had an ok year last year. What do they get besides a serviceable center? Why would they want Brian Cook?

They lost to a young Mavericks team in the playoffs this year. Bowen is 35 years old, while Finely is in his early 30's.

Talentwise they are better than Cook and Mihm. However they are not younger. Cook and Mihm also have short contracts. If either of them don't work out, the Spurs can depart with them and find someone else.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:13 pm

1) I have compared salaries.

2) I have compared what each team needs.

3) What part did I not follow?

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby G on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:32 pm

revgen wrote:

G

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:59 pm

G wrote:
revgen wrote:

I forgot to mention that I don't use the hoopshype salaries. I used to use it but don't anymore. Sorry.

I use this site now since it's been suggested by JSM http://home.earthlink.net/~jtkramer65/05-06salaries.htm

Spurs:

Bowen: $3,750,000
Finley: $2,889,000

Total: $6,639,000

Lakers:

Mihm: $4,237,500
Cook: $1,817,141

Total: $6,054,641

The salaries are within 15% of each other.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby SWOL on Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:45 pm

A DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR AND THIER BEST BENCH PLAYER FOR 2 PIECES OF GARBAGE, IM SURE POP WILL JUMP ALL OVER THAT ONE
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:02 pm

SWOL wrote:A DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR AND THIER BEST BENCH PLAYER FOR 2 PIECES OF GARBAGE, IM SURE POP WILL JUMP ALL OVER THAT ONE

I'm sure Pop wouldn't agree either. Pop loves veterans who know what to do. But fortunately, Pop isn't the GM and doesn't have to worry if the Spurs are a walking retirement village in 2 years.

R.C. Buford (Spurs GM) most likely has his mind on how to bring more youth to the roster. Unlike Pop, his job depends upon it.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:21 pm

SWOL wrote:A DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR AND THIER BEST BENCH PLAYER FOR 2 PIECES OF GARBAGE, IM SURE POP WILL JUMP ALL OVER THAT ONE

I'm sure he won't. He likes veterans who do the job. Of course Pop isn't the GM and doesn't have to worry about whether the Spurs turn into a Social Security center in a couple of years. Rodney Buford is most likely thinking about this.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Klewfish on Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:50 pm

No way they trade Bowen AND Finley for Mihm/Cook. Depending on how desperate they are for a center, we might be able to get Bowen (who I would lovve). I would say Mihm/Luke for Bowen/filler might get the job done.

Smush/Farmar
Kobe/??
Bowen/Vlad
LO/Cook/Turiaf
Kwame/Bynum
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
Klewfish
ClubNetsHoops.com Administrator

Re: Spurs and Lakers Trade Proposal

Postby strikemode14 on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:35 pm

revgen wrote:How about Mihm and Cook to the Spurs for Bowen and Finely. The salaries match closely according to Hoopshype.

The Spurs aren't getting any younger and it seems that they are about to lose 2 centers in Nestorivich and Mohammed. Mihm would fill the center position while Cook would be a younger shooter to replace Finley on the bench.

Bowen and Finely will provide veteran experience that the Lakers need while their contracts are short and won't run long. It seems like a good deal for both teams.

Comments?

This is a joke right? Bowen is their top perimeter defender. Even at 35 Bowen still went toe to toe with freaking Dirk the Jerk. :man10: Finley is a pretty good player as well.

Compared to Cook a matador who they wouldn't take for free and Mihm who is worse then Rasho and Nazr.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Re: Spurs and Lakers Trade Proposal

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:42 pm

strikemode14 wrote:
This is a joke right?

No Joke.
strikemode14 wrote:Bowen is their top perimeter defender. Even at 35 Bowen still went toe to toe with freaking Dirk the Jerk. :man10:
IIRC Mr. Bowen had a lot of help from his friends. Dirk was double-teamed relentlessly. However, he passed the ball to young quick guards like Harris and Terry and the Spurs were toasted.
strikemode14 wrote:Finley is a pretty good player as well.
Yes he is. And he isn't getting any younger. Right now he's a shooter off the bench. Cook can fill this same role quite well.

strikemode14 wrote:Compared to Cook a matador who they wouldn't take for free and Mihm who is worse then Rasho and Nazr.
First of all, Finley ain't exactly a defensive stalwart either. That's why he comes off the bench. I don't believe Cook would be any worse. 2nd of all, Rasho is gone, and it doesn't appear that Nazr is staying either. Mihm would make a good backup at a reasonable price.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KobeCory8 on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:47 pm

thats too bad of a deal for spurs
wouldnt most likely hapen
KobeCory8

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:56 pm

LakersKB8LO7 wrote:No way they trade Bowen AND Finley for Mihm/Cook. Depending on how desperate they are for a center, we might be able to get Bowen (who I would lovve). I would say Mihm/Luke for Bowen/filler might get the job done.

Smush/Farmar
Kobe/??
Bowen/Vlad
LO/Cook/Turiaf
Kwame/Bynum

I thought about Luke, but I can't see how he would fit into Pop's system. Luke's strength is his passing. Pop tends to use normal size point guards. He doesn't seem to have a flair for point forwards. About the only system that really works for Luke is the triangle. But if the Spurs want him, I wouldn't say no.

Cook would be another shooter for Tim Duncan to pass to out of the double-teams like Barry, Ferry, Finely, Kerr and others have done in the past.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:11 pm

KobeCory8 wrote:thats too bad of a deal for spurs
wouldnt most likely hapen

It appears that way if you don't think about it carefully.

The truth is that Michael Finely isn't the player he was for Dallas anymore. He's playing off the bench now as a shooter since his legs aren't fast enough to drive anymore. Trading Cook for Finely would be just like trading a young shooter for an veteran shooter. It's not that one-sided.

Bruce Bowen is 35 going on 36. He's getting away with a lot of fouls that others get called for since he still carries a reputation as a "defensive stopper". How long will he continue to get away with it? I doubt it'll be much longer.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Still A Dynasty on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:08 pm

Id be all over that deal, but the Spurs wouldnt
Still A Dynasty

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:15 pm

Still A Dynasty wrote:Id be all over that deal, but the Spurs wouldnt

Where are they going to get a decent center to replace Mohammed and Rasho?

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Flatlyner on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:26 pm

I'm not so sure I like the deal from the Lakers standpoint. We give up to bigs for 2 more SF's? And OLD ones at that. How many games/years do you think 36 year old Bowen has in him? He certainly has lost a step already. Same goes for Finley.

I hope we can get a younger big in a trade of Mihm.
Flatlyner

Postby jBL on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:35 pm

G wrote:
revgen wrote:

I think G have been mistaken. Finley was waived last season by Mavs because of one time amnesty clause (he was getting payed about $15 mil) and Spurs signed him for 2 year / $5 million (around there) deal.
jBL

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:39 pm

Flatlyner wrote:I'm not so sure I like the deal from the Lakers standpoint. We give up to bigs for 2 more SF's? And OLD ones at that. How many games/years do you think 36 year old Bowen has in him? He certainly has lost a step already. Same goes for Finley.

I hope we can get a younger big in a trade of Mihm.

Veteran experience is absolutely needed for this young team. Playoff veteran experience would be even better. Bowen and Finley provide this. They should help these young Lakers understand how to play. Had a Bruce Bowen or a Michael Finley been on this squad against Phoenix, I doubt that this team would have lost their composure.

Mihm is already going to be gone after next year while Cook will be replaced by Rodmanovich and his contract will be done 2 seasons from now. We'd be replacing 2 short contracts and replacing them with 2 short contracts that can bring the experience we need.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KB24 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:43 am

2 more SFs? no thanks.

I wouldn´t mind Bowen (tho I hate him cuz he is dirty) but we do not use it. Had he been a PG or a PF I would do it.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby jBL on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:50 am

Finley is dirt cheap now and only like 32-years-old. I'd try sign and trade George for Finley.
jBL

Postby director2b on Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:29 am

I read on Hoopshype that the Spurs were shopping Beno Udrih, they also are now looking to get younger & need a center...

So how about:

Chris Mihm for Robert Horry & Udrih.

Udrih, would fight with Smush for the starting job and Horry would be the big triangle experienced vet our team needs.

For the Spurs, it helps address their nees at center.
To me this seems more likely then a Bowen, Finley trade, because Finley is still a great deal at his price and Bowen is their proven lock down defender.

The biggest question to me is would we trade with the Spurs?
director2b

Next

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas