Stephen Jackson...

Stephen Jackson...

Postby kobe_mamba on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:15 pm

Ok, so i know this has been discussed to some extent in dispatches in the D12 thread and possibly some others - but what about the Lakers trading for Stephen Jackson??? Its not as crazy as it sounds....

JR Smith, Gil Arenas - we have been looking at these guys in some shape or form, and they are perhaps worse headcases than Jax, and at least this guy is still an active, capable, effective, veteran player currently playing in this league. We know he can shoot, he's a vet and has championship experience

This guy WILL be traded at or before the deadline, you can nearly bank on that as his relationship with Scott Skiles at the Bucks is over, but he has stated he just wants to play....he has also stated publicly he would love to help a championship caliber team to win. Bucks players have said that he isn't and hasn't been a destabilizing presence in their locker room - even whilst being yanked from the rotation, benched and even recently copping several DNP - Coach's Decision

We need help at PG, but man, we also need scoring help at SF just as bad

FWIW, I have never actually liked this guy much myself, but truth is, he could help our team...

Thoughts?
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Re: Stephen Jackson...

Postby Steez on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 pm

He wont fit here.

He has a bad attitude and thats why he isn't fitting in Milwaukee. Dude is complaining about Milwaukee with Bogut injured and not taking up shots... if hes here behind Kobe, Pau and Bynum - he wont get shots at all. He will cry the first day.
- Scuse me while I kiss the sky!
Steez

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 pm

I'd love to get him. We need a SF as badly as we need a PG IMO. He's a guy who obviously can score, but he's also a terrific defender. I believe Fisher and Bryant can keep him in check.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby kobe_mamba on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Steez wrote:He wont fit here.

He has a bad attitude and thats why he isn't fitting in Milwaukee. Dude is complaining about Milwaukee with Bogut injured and not taking up shots... if hes here behind Kobe, Pau and Bynum - he wont get shots at all. He will cry the first day.

i'm not so sure that is the case right now in his career - sure in the past - but apparently he just wants to play, and if not for the Bucks, he wants to play with a contender and have a chance at winning. I also agree with KeepBynum (above) that Kobe and Fish are different beasts and could keep him in check. I heard Legler on NBA Tonight say that he thinks he could stick with a contender that offered veteran leadership...
kobe_mamba

Postby Steez on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:23 pm

I honestly dont see him fitting here at all.
- Scuse me while I kiss the sky!
Steez

Postby kobe_mamba on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:28 pm

Steez wrote:I honestly dont see him fitting here at all.

and I know why you think that and where you're coming from believe me - i just think that at this point in his career, Jax doesn't want to go out this way - being squeezed out of a team and bumping around...
kobe_mamba

Postby kobe_mamba on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:32 pm

Mods...if this is bumped out of Lakers Discussion - then surely the giant D12 thread MUST be also???
Its also based on nothing more than a trade idea....double standards?
kobe_mamba

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:50 pm

kobe_mamba wrote:Mods...if this is bumped out of Lakers Discussion - then surely the giant D12 thread MUST be also???

I don't speak for the mods, but I have an idea why they have kept the Dwight thread around. It's to keep LD clean. If they moved a Dwight thread out of LD, another would pop up nearly instantly, and they'd have their hands full just cleaning up after those constant Dwight rumors. The Stephen Jackson thread most likely won't be recreated, so in a manner of speaking, it is a double standard.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby kobe_mamba on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:52 pm

tbh....Lakers Discussion is a VERY broad forum name and by all rights should incorporate all sorts of topics such as trade ideas, rumors, etc as it pertains directly to the Lakers organisation

just like the other threads on JR Smith, Gilbert, Sessions etc...whether based on rumors or an idea
kobe_mamba

Postby kobe_mamba on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Scnottaken wrote:
kobe_mamba wrote:Mods...if this is bumped out of Lakers Discussion - then surely the giant D12 thread MUST be also???

I don't speak for the mods, but I have an idea why they have kept the Dwight thread around. It's to keep LD clean. If they moved a Dwight thread out of LD, another would pop up nearly instantly, and they'd have their hands full just cleaning up after those constant Dwight rumors. The Stephen Jackson thread most likely won't be recreated, so in a manner of speaking, it is a double standard.

cheers, i appreciate your opinion and comments on this...
kobe_mamba

Postby Alcindor on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:21 am

Another thing about the Dwight thread is we likely have the means to acquire him and with Jax we really don't. We wouldn't use the TPE because we are adding 20 mil in salary after cap without sending anyone out in a crowded position for us. We have 3 SFs here, someone has to go out and they wouldn't want Metta/Luke etc..

Now if they'd take Metta...
Alcindor

Postby thehamm99 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:09 pm

I have a different take on it.

I believe Stephen Jackson is just one of those guys that doesn't take losing well. He's a competitor, and he's fiery, like many NBA players, but has no filter, and often talks and acts out where others control themselves, and it costs him in money and playing time in certain situations.

But looking back in his history, when he's part of a winning nucleus, he provides a spark that no other SF on our roster can come even close to matching. Spurs, Warriors, Pacers...he was extremely valuable.

Is he old? What does old mean? Last year he averaged 36 minutes per game, 18pts, 4reb, 4ast, 34% 3pt.

I honestly think he would be a great addition to the team, and paired with Matt Barnes would make our SF position look halfway decent.

Call me crazy, but he seems like the fiery type of guy that Kobe likes to have as a teammate. And lord knows with the guys on this roster, we need some attitude and spark (other than from Artest, who can't shoot).

...and while we're at it. I'll take either Livingston or Udrih as well, whichever they want to give up.

Who would Milwaukee take back?
Maybe Skiles would like a vetaran to backup Jennings. There's Blake. I'm sure Devin Ebanks would intrigue them. Would they take Walton? Probably not, but he is due about half the money Jackson is, for the same 1.5 seasons, so I guess it's possible (for salary relief).

I would rather see a trade for DJ Augustin, if it was an either/or situation, because as it stands right now, we have ZERO starting caliber PG on our roster.
thehamm99

Postby thehamm99 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:15 pm

...and let me just add...

PG
SF
Coach

The 3rd one might be what concerns me most...
thehamm99

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas