Trade Farmar and Morrison to a team looking for 2010 Cap

Trade Farmar and Morrison to a team looking for 2010 Cap

Postby TKainZero on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:59 pm

There are teams looking for 2010 cap space (Knicks, Nets, ect) would like contracts that expire after this season.

It would make sense for the Lakers to move 2 players, to get a single player back.
So what teams would the lakers target, and then what players should they target?

Morrison + farmar equal to about 7 million in cap space. There has to be some team out there that would like to get 7 million off the books for this offseason.

What targets you got?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine
100 people see fire.
99 start screaming and getting hysterical over all the smoke.
I start looking for the cause.

Concern yourselves with the Problems, not the Symptoms.
TKainZero

Re: Trade Farmar and Morrison to a team looking for 2010 Cap

Postby TKainZero on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:10 pm

A trade for Devin harris from the Nets works money wise, but I believe Harris may be the only untouchable player the Nets have, but also is one of the only players with more then 1 year on their deals. The nets would have to implode before the Nets would even THINK about trading Harris, and even then, he would command more then a couple Expiring contracts. (other multiyear contracts, include Keyon Dooling, and Eduardo Najarea)

The Knicks, have even less options. With rookies Tony Douglus, and Jordan Hill joining Jared Jeffries as the only multi year contracts.

So, we must look to other teams
100 people see fire.

TKainZero

Postby Larry14r on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Easier said than done because we don't know what team will trade a player that is worth 7 mil which it might be crappy player with a contract that is awful to boot it's a double edge sword because we can get even more deeper in the luxury tax hole. Also we need to clear contracts ourselves so we can have space for next year's MLE player mostly likely a PG.
Larry14r

Postby TKainZero on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:12 am

It is possible that the Lakers can trade the expixiring contracts for a young PG.

There are teams out there that have multiple PG's
100 people see fire.

TKainZero

Postby TKainZero on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:44 pm

OK

The Lakers can Keep Farmar...

But Morrison has to go.
Send him to Cuba.
100 people see fire.

TKainZero

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Morrison hasn't done anything to prove he can't contribute to this team this season. In fact he's looked much stronger in the Summer and Preseason.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Ammo still looked lost to me in that 1st gm against GSW....didn't get to watch gm 2 so I can't comment on that one.
khmrP

Postby TKainZero on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:03 pm

The Knicks could move the Contract of Jared Jeffires for Morrison.

This would give the Knicks more cap room for the 2010 offseason.
100 people see fire.

TKainZero

Postby Larry14r on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:53 pm

TKainZero wrote:The Knicks could move the Contract of Jared Jeffires for Morrison.

This would give the Knicks more cap room for the 2010 offseason.

Expect the Lakers don't want Jeffires' contract though.
Larry14r

Postby earvinfr on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:05 pm

TKainZero wrote:OK

The Lakers can Keep Farmar...

But Morrison has to go.
Send him to Cuba.

We need to keep Farmar, Fisher expires after this season and however the season end, I think it'll be his last.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby TKainZero on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Farmar is needed, i agree.
Brown is no where near ready to be the Starting PG, or play big mins at PG.

Fisher has what it takes to start, and he should all year.
Brown is under contract for this year and next.

Farmar should still be moved if the right deal comes along.
There are teams out there with PG's... Lakers need to find someone looking to unload a strength.
100 people see fire.

TKainZero

Postby crazylakerfanforlife on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:03 pm

would u take najeras horrible contract if they also threw in courtney lee? morrison and farmar for najera, lee, and fill in (boone or trenton hassel).
crazylakerfanforlife

Postby crazylakerfanforlife on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:13 pm

how about this trade http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

morrison, farmar, sasha to the knicks for larry hughes. good defender, can handle the ball and better shooter in recent years.
crazylakerfanforlife

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:24 pm

I'd love me some John Salmons.

I hope Chicago really believes they can go after Wade. Morrison needs to raise his stock.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby TKainZero on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:43 pm

I cannot see any team taking Sasha and his contract.
Especialy a team like the Knicks that want to clear as much cap space as possible.

Morrison and Farmar are the targets for the Lakers to trade.

The Lakers need to target teams that have PG depth, Jarred Bayliss in Portland is a good target. He is getting ZERO playing time, as the 3rd or 4th string PG on the Blazers.

Lakers should look to make a 3 team trade, and Trade farmar to the Knicks, where he can really do well in the Dan'Toni system, while getting a PG back that can be an upgrade over Fisher.
100 people see fire.

TKainZero

Postby TKainZero on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:52 pm

Here is a 3 team Trade, that is not Very Likely.

Lakers Send Farmar to Knicks
Knicks send Jordan Hill to Blazers
Blazers send Jarred Bayliss to Lakers

It works money wise.
I think the Lakers would do it.
I think the Blazers would do it.
But im not sure the Knicks would do it. They Drafted Hill in the First round this past draft, but, have yet to give him any serious mins in a game yet.

Farmar would step right in and do his best Steve Nash impression running the Knicks offense.
Bayliss would be a huge upgrade over Farmar.
And the Blazers would be able to move one of their Extra Pieces, for a Young Raw low post player.

Its an idea...
And, if Done, still gives the Lakers Morrions expiering contract to work with.
100 people see fire.

TKainZero

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:53 am

I love Jerryd Bayless. Do you think the Blazers would consider Farmar and Morrison for him. I think he's going to be a total stud!!!
LAKEROC

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:30 am

^ No. Blazers don't trade with the Lakers.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:46 pm

That's really unfortunate. My absolute dream would be Farmar/Morrison/1st for Russell Westbrook, but I know its never going to happen in a million years.

Bayless is good, but Westbrook is my favorite young point guard in the league. I would rather have Westbrook than OJ Mayor or Derek Rose. He's just a massive stud.

What about Farmar/Morrison to Minnesota for the rights to Ricky Rubio from Minnesota. Could this be done, since he signed that 2 year deal with the Spanish club. Any chance they would take those 2 for Rubio, who doesn't look like he's even coming over
LAKEROC

Postby TT24 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:54 pm

The disadvantage of having Russell is that he is turnover prone. It's rediculous. Of course having guys like Kobe, LO, Pau, etc. helps, but the amount he's had, just have me speechless sometimes.

And with Ricky, Minnesota can get a better deal than just Ammo and Jordy.
TT24

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:39 pm

You're not going to trade Morrison and/or Farmar for superior young talent. Good players on cheap contracts are gold right now.

You're only going to get a veteran from a team with legit hopes of signing a stud next summer.

That's all.

Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:51 pm

Seriously, I think Mitch needs to get on the horn with NY. Everyone now from the front office even to D'Antoni at this point is done with Chris Duhon. In the AMMO and Farmar thread I posted this article:

Harrington Annoyed at Duhon?

Posted: 11/9/2009 5:50:00 AM
Source: Marc Berman of the New York Post

Mike D'Antoni's man crush on Chris Duhon is over.

In the summer of 2008, D'Antoni convinced Donnie Walsh that Duhon was the bridge to 2010 -- the point guard who would bring a winning attitude to a losing culture. Duhon possessed a high basketball IQ, leadership, defense and intangibles Stephon Marbury did not bring.

The two-year deal has turned into an Isiah Thomas-like blunder. The bridge has collapsed. Duhon, newly named captain, is going down with the Knicks' ship.

The Knicks are in chaos as they take their 1-6 record into tonight's game vs. the Jazz to begin a four-game homestand. Duhon's role as starting point guard is under intense scrutiny again.

Walsh and D'Antoni had flown to Treviso, Italy, for a draft camp to investigate selecting Jennings, who never showed. Walsh felt he didn't have enough information to make Jennings the eighth pick. Not good.

And now they're stuck with Duhon for the year -- without a point guard of the present or future. D'Antoni wanted Ramon Sessions. Walsh balked. Yes, rookie Toney Douglas is impressing D'Antoni lately, but he's not a bona fide starter.

"I do like what I'm seeing out of Toney, he's getting better all the time," D'Antoni said.

Duhon tried to be a leader nine days ago when he told MSG Network in Charlotte players were "joking around" too much on the layup line. But the remarks ticked off some players, including Al Harrington. D'Antoni wished he said it to the guys and not MSG's post-game show.

"One of those stretches it seems like everything's going wrong," Duhon said. "I'm caught in a downward spiral. The only way I can get out of it is fight my way out of it."

At this point in time NY might be willing to take a chance on a guy like Farmar. It couldn't really hurt. The team is in last place in the league after all. I could see Farmar fitting in extremely well with D'Antoni's run and gun system. Much easier than I could see him fitting here.

And clearly Farmar's days here seem numbered as they did not extend him. AMMO gives NY 5 million plus expiring. And if Farmar works out for them there will probably be very little competition to sign him which means they could resign him fairly cheap.

I think Duhon could be a great solution to the point guard problem here. He could study under Fish this year then take over the starting role next season. He's young (27), he dishes a lot of assists (top ten in the league), plays D, supposedly has a high BBall IQ, and he can get hot from distance (almost 37% from three career). He seems like a solid player and while Donnie Walsh is notoriously a hard bargainer, he might see the pros of getting a run and gun type of player in Farmar who has a reasonable contract and a big expiring in AMMO. Hey, let's not forget what Mitch was able to do with Kwame's 9 million expiring. This is small potatoes compared to that steal.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:02 am

At this point I don't want to just get rid of Farmar. He's playing much better this year.

We could get Duhon for Morrison straight up technically, but that would give us a huge log-jam at the PG position.

Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:47 am

^^ I respectfully disagree in that I haven't seen Farmar playing well enough that I think we should keep him. He had a pretty good pre-season definitely, but since the real games have started I see the same inconsistency from him that plagued him in the past. I think Duhon would be a much more legitimate PG option for us than Jordan. To me that would be a big upgrade. Duhon is a guy I could see backing Fish up for this year and then taking the mantle from Fish next season when he's learned the system.

I just don't see the Lakers keeping Farmar as the next starting PG. They have already decided not to extend him so they must have serious doubts at this point. Am I wrong? If they believed in him then why wouldn't they extend him now? I don't see how Farmar, an uptempo guy who needs the ball in his hands all the time, a guy who plays no defense, is somehow going to become our next starter? I don't think Phil sees it either. And if that is the case, why prolong the agony?

Here's a great opportunity to find a better solution to our PG problem. NY is desperate for a PG. Farmar might be a guy who could fill that role in that system (Mitch would have to sell it a little), they would still get cap relief from AMMO's expiring (they wouldn't take that alone - they need a PG). And they could probably re-sign Farmar pretty cheap next year, certainly cheaper than what they are paying Duhon now at 6 plus million a year. Farmar has the fire that a guy like D' Antoni likes. He has the drive to be a starting PG. He just doesn't really fit here. We need a system guy who plays D and will give up the rock. Duhon looks like he's that kind of player. He played for Duke, he can heat it up from long range (not a very good shooter elsewhere), he can penetrate and dish, he plays D, he's got much better handles than a SG like Shannon Brown, and he's a good passer in general. I don't get why you would pass on that for Farmar, or why the Lakers should.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby TKainZero on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:14 am

A Morrison and Farmar for Duhon works under the NBA Trade Machine.

If NY is in such a bad way with Duhon, then it could work, for years i have thought that Farmar and Dantonie would be perfect together. Duhon was never a good fit for the system.

Farmar is a lame duck player on the Lakers right now. They choose not to extend him, and gave his competition a 2 year deal. Farmar really cannot utilize his skill set within the Lakers structured offense.

From the article posted, it seems that NY is falling out of favor with Duhon, and the Lakers should sweep him up. Lakers can figure out what to do after they get him.

But I am all in favor for this trade.
100 people see fire.

TKainZero

Next

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas