You are Mitch Kupchak...

You are Mitch Kupchak...

Postby Venti Quattro on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:41 am

With only 27 days remaining until the NBA trade deadline, the rumors are gathering steam. Many names are being mentioned ranging from the scrubs to the elite. No one really knows what's in store for the Los Angeles Lakers...minor tweaks or major overhaul? Well, you are in charge, you are Mitch Kupchak. So, what would you do?

The ESPN Trade Machine http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine can be used to see if your deal works financially. And mention why, in your opinion, each team involved would agree to the deal.

I'll get it started...

A three team, eight player deal between the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers, and Toronto Raptors.

Bulls trade Kirk Hinrich and John Salmons.

Lakers trade Andrew Bynum, Derek Fisher, Sasha Vujacic, Adam Morrison, and Vladimir Radmanovic trade exception.

Raptors trade Chris Bosh and Antoine Wright.

Bulls acquire Adam Morrison, Sasha Vujacic, and Derek Fisher.

Lakers acquire Chris Bosh, Kirk Hinrich, and Antoine Wright.

Raptors acquire Andrew Bynum and John Salmons.

*It would actually be broken down into two separate deals since a trade exception is used.*

Why does Chicago agree?

The Bulls are trying to unload both Kirk Hinrich and John Salmons for expiring contracts for the opportunity to become major players in the 2010 free agent market. Although this deal does not completely clear the $14,808,000 owed to those two players, with both Adam Morrison and Derek Fisher expiring contracts, it clears $9,332,887 off of their '10-'11 commitment.

Why does Los Angeles agree?

It's fairly obvious. Not only do the Lakers end up with the best player in the deal in Chris Bosh, but they also add a defensive minded point guard with size and shooting ability in Kirk Hinrich. Although Derek Fisher was involved in the trade, something last option in the minds of the front office, the Bulls would agree to waive him allowing a return after 30 days. Antoine Wright would be the new Adam Morrison aka the 13th man.

Why does Toronto agree?

This deal is contingent on the Raptors being told Chris Bosh has no intention of returning to Toronto. Andrew Bynum would be the best player available to them as waiting for sign-and-trade possibilities this summer would be too risky. In order to secure a 22-year old center with franchise player potential, the Raptors would have to take John Salmons and his remaining one year.

The new and improved Los Angeles Lakers

Hinrich/Fisher/Farmar
Bryant/Brown
Artest/Walton/Wright
Bosh/Odom/Powell
Gasol/Mbenga
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Re: You are Mitch Kupchak...

Postby Sirron on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:55 am

Interesting proposal. Giving Fisher a month off might be good for his legs.

However, to just give a way Hinrich and Salmons for no assets except cap relief seems a bit unrealistic. Depends how bad they want cap space I suppose.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby cthroatgtr on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:06 am

Interesting idea but I can't see that happening. It is really tough to do such an extreme trade mid-season with no camp to prepare. Pau was a necessity (and obvious trade as well) and he was a natural fit for the triangle. Bosh and Heinrich certainly are good fits but now you have 2 players learning the system. Could be really tough. I also don't believe the Lakers would get that lucky and land both and finally would Buss commit that much money?

Including Fish actually has some merit. Fish/Ammo is $10mil and can be used to grab a PG like Harris (if actually available) or even Heinrich. I can't see Chicago not wanting Farmar in the trade so they retain a backup PG. I also think Jarrett Jack could be a viable option if he is even available. He has a 4-year / 5 mill contract but I recall he was a solid defender and for the Lakers they really need a solid defender and guy who doesn't need to be "the man" and Jack can guard both guard positions. Guard rotation of Kobe/Shannon/Jack/Fish works for any combination. I would inquire if Ariza can be picked back up. I know that may sound crazy but he has fell back to earth so crazier things have happened. Also any trade involving Fish would need to have him coming back in 30 days or Laker brass would never consider it.

This is one year the Lakers really should make a deal with Ammo's contract though.
cthroatgtr

Postby Tragic on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:16 am

ehhh....if it aint broke dont fix it.. we didnt even have a healthy bynum in the playoffs last year and we still made it to the end..
Last edited by Tragic on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tragic

Postby koolkobe on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:17 am

Sasha, Farmar and a 2011 1st round pick for CJ Watson, Raja Bell and a 2011 2nd round pick

We get 2 legit shooters and raja is an expiring. We won't sign our draft pick anyways so we might as well trade it.
koolkobe

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:40 am

The Lakers will NOT trade Derek Fisher. Losing your starting PG for a month is something Phil will not do.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby chug o nomics on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:23 pm

Dunleavy + Head for Morrison + Luke XD
"The thing that made push pops good is that you had to work for them. IF YOU WERE WEAK YOU DIDN'T GET ANY."
chug o nomics

Postby earvinfr on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:29 pm

Sorry had to change my post. Wrong thread !
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby flexxdzl on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:41 pm

GET ARIZA BACK >>>THAT"S IT >>>>!!!!!!

If Mitch could get ariza back...and have him come off the bench.....I'd be cool
flexxdzl

Postby sho on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:48 pm

If I'm Mitch, I would try to get this blockbuster three team trade done, involving pieces rumored to be on the move/block:

Toronto gets:
Bynum
Powell
Dooling

NJ gets:
Bosh
Farmar

Lakers get:
Lopez
Harris

NJ does it to get rid of long term contracts, acquire the bird rights to a 'big' they potentially could target in the summer and have enough cap room to sign another player to a max contract. All while still giving them the best chance of landing Wall.

Toronto does it to get a good, to great, big under contract, while adding a decent trade asset for next season.

Los Angeles does this to get both a long term PG and a long term big that can team with Gasol. All while shedding some future payroll to help in resigning Pau.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... Id=yga94z7
sho

Postby kenzo on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:15 pm

I would trade Fish for some drift wood. And renegotiate Pau's contract by adding a MUST USE ROIDS clause
kenzo

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas