Rank the 10 Greatest Lakers of all time

Rank the 10 Greatest Lakers of all time

Postby TIME on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:39 am

To launch this spanking new Trophy Room forum I'm interested in hearing your ranking of the greatest Lakers of all time.

I'm asking you to only consider their career as Lakers. So, for example only consider Karl Malone on the basis of what he accomplished while wearing the Golden Armor, and not his years with the Utah Jazz.

You can rank them based on what YOU value most including production, stats, wins, leadership, longevity, chemistry, intensity, or any other factor that you value in Laker players. There is no right or wrong ranking here; I'm interested in how you remember them.

Here's my ranking:

1. Jerry West - the Logo: he defines Laker greatness
2. Magic - Showtime architect
3. Kobe - the greatest talent ever in team history
4. Kareem - the Captain
5. George Mikan - the first great Laker
6. Elgin Baylor - the 2nd greatest talent in team history
7. Shaq - dominant centerpiece of the threepeat
8. Worthy - Big Game James
9. Wilt - brought the first title to LA
10. Pau - no back to back rings without him
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Re: Rank the 10 Greatest Lakers of all time

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:03 pm

im gonna go backwards its more suspenseful :man10:
FYI ALL IMAGES FOUND USING A SINGLE NAME :man10:

10) Shaq

will ALWAYS only BARELY make the list.. YES.. his treacherous GREEN ring chasing days spelled his demise with me

9) Pau

just got his feet wet last year.. he may rise

8) Mikan

One must never forget where they come from or who they are.. Mikan was LAKERS before the LAKERS were LAKERS

7) Wilt

Dominance is as Dominance does..

6) Worthy

Greatest finisher to the fast break I've ever seen.. and best pre game and post game announcer.. :jam2:

5) Cap

smooth elegant.. yet took no BS.. PAU could learn from him..the CAP.. nuff said

4) Magic

great memories.. architect of showtime.. was LAKERS of 80s.. never thought he'd fall this low but bear with me

3) Kobe

TWO different dynasties.. carried the team through a lull working on TWO decades or relevance

2) Logo

LOS ANGELES owes EVERYTHING to this man.. the 70s all West.. the 80s BUILT by west.. the 90s.. brought to you by West.. the 2k's DEFAULT to West.. everything good about the franchise IN LA can be contributed to this man.. so who can top that??

THIS MAN!

a RESOUNDING 1) Chick

the man lived and breathe LAKERS.. and everyone has a memory of him.. GOLDEN THROAT.. brought the game to life.. kept people interested even when RINGS werent being won.. loved the fans.. loved the city.. loved the FRANCHISE.. this guy is and ALWAYS will be OUR HEART..

we miss you and love you Chick.. you will never be forgotten.. :bow:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby TIME on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Great list Darth! :beer:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:15 pm

TIME wrote:Great list Darth! :beer:

thank ye sir :beer:

i dont have a memory of Elgin.. but i do recognize him.. he just didnt get the nod over Mikan

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby KB24 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:18 pm

so tough to rank those guys.

I would say the greatest Laker player in terms of talent is Kobe Bryant. The greatest overall Laker though has to be the logo as he breaths LA. Magic might be the most fun player the team has ever had, Cap the best bigman of all times. You have to realize how spoiled we are. If we are going to add non players as well, then any list without Jerry Buss is flawed IMO.

You said criteria is what they did for the Lakers. If its for players only and based on their talents and what they did with the Lakers

1. Mamba (5 rings and counting)
2. Magic (5 rings)
3. Cap (5 rings)
4. Shaq (3 rings)
5. West (although only 1 ring, he did become a golden GM as well which brought us more rings)
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Elgin Baylor
8. Big Game James
9. Pau Gasol
10. Mikan (5 rings but weak era does cost him some spots IMO).

honorable mentions: Lamar Odom, Gail Goodrich

In terms of personality and overall Laker career...Logo is definitely first followed by Cap and Magic. Kobe will certainly be up there in the future.

From non player perspective Chick and Buss have to be on everyone's list.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Good point with Buss :jam2:

although Kent Cook BROUGHT the Lakers here .. dont believe Buss woulda been interested in the MPLS Lakers :man1:

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby LOAllStar2011 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:08 pm

(1) Kobe
(2) Magic
(3) Jerry
(4) Kareem
(5) Shaq
(6) Baylor
(7) Wilt
(8) Worthy
(9) Pau
(10) Mikan
LOAllStar2011

Postby John3:16 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:20 pm

My list is exactly the same as KB24. :bow:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:44 am

10.Mikan
9. Pau
8. Wilt
7. Worthy
6. Baylor
5. West
4. Shaq
3. Kareem
2. Magic
1. Kobe
432J

Postby ChuckTheD on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:14 pm

If we go by playing then-

10.George Mikan-Gets shafted cuz it was the dead ball era. Won 5 titles, but I can't really vouch for his greatness

9.Elgin Baylor-First skywalker. Imagine if Tracy McGrady's prime lasted for like 10 years, and you could count the other guys who could dunk comfortably in a game on one hand. Sadly the Championship was his second round, and he never got over the hump. Still an amazing talent and pioneer for the above the rim wings of today's game.

8.Wilt Chamberlain-Came to LA in 68 when Bill Russell and the Celtics were breaking the Lakers' hearts every year. That season he made them a good enough team to get HCA vs. those guys, and for the first time ever Game 7 would be in LA. But Wilt turned in a scared performance in Game 7 and in effect had not made us any better. Great, great player who had his head on straight in 72. But not the kind of winner we needed.

7.Pau Gasol-Immediately turned what was a mediocre team into a perrenial top tier team. Had the smoothest transition into a new system I've ever seen (not to mention did it midseason at the beginning of a long road trip.) In 08 it looked like he folded under the pressure and strength of those guys. But in 09 and 10 against the Nuggets equally feisty frontline, Dwight Howard, and those same green bastards he proved that he just needed to get his feet wet. Put up 19/19 in the biggest game of his life and was possibly the best player in that Game 7.

6.James Worthy-Best finisher on the break ever. Shook off early doubts about his mental resolve by turning into an all star on 3 championship teams, culminating in the 36/16/10 masterpiece in Game 7 vs Detroit that earned him his monicker "Big Game James."

5.Shaquille O'neal-By far the best Free Agent signing in Lakers history, maybe ever. The best Center in basketball and we nabbed him at 24. He immediately made us a title contender, but his presence alone didn't convert to playoff success. Even with other all stars like Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones, we kept getting killed when it mattered. Then Phil showed up, and Kobe became an elite player, and the Diesel started showing us what he was capable of. Turned in one of the best season ever in 2000 putting 30/14/4/3, winning MVP, All Star MVP, and Finals MVP. Continued it into 01 when he led us to the best postseason run ever. Started breaking down in 02 but was still great enough to get us there. Lost motivation after that, basically fatted his way out of a possible 4-peat. 04 he was also hurt and bickering with Kobe. Really good in the playoffs up until the Finals then left in an ugly scene. Greatest peak I've seen, but it was too short.

4.Jerry West-He's who I bring up whenever someone brings up the argument that you're not great without rings. Jerry was routinely at his best when it mattered most. He put up over 40 ppg for the 65 playoffs (including 45.3 ppg against Baltimore in 6 games). He averaged 34 ppg in the next postseason. Put up over 40 a game in the 69 Finals. Nobody remembers this, because the Lakers didn't win the title any of those years, but that had little to do with West's efforts. He finally broke through in 72 when his 26/10 led us to 69 wins and the title. He's the logo for a reason.

3.Kareem Abdul-Jabbar-Came to LA in 75 after West and Chamberlain had retired. He immediately restored us to relevant status. Unfortunately he wasn't able to get us over the hump by himself. Then Magic came along and everything changed. He was the backbone of the best team of the best era ever. Showtime wouldn't have worked if LA didn't have Kareem to throw it into in the halfcourt game to keep the defense honest. Plus he possessed the greatest shot ever created.

2.Kobe Bryant- Worn the purple and gold longer than anyone in history. He was the best wing player in the league from 01-10, during which time he ammassed 4 championships, 3 All Star MVPs, 2 Finals MVP's, 2 scoring titles, a Regular Season MVP, and a Gold Medal. Only player in history to co-lead a team that was a dynasty, watch it break up, stay with the team through rebuilding, and keep leading them through another dynasty. Toughest player besides West on this list who has always found a way to get a W. Top 10 player of all time, probably the hungriest, most determined basketball player who ever lived. If he wins another he tops this list.

1.Magic Johnson - The most unique player of all time. As James Worthy put it "There will never again be a 6'9 Point Guard who smiles while he embarasses you. He embodied what it meant to be a showman with substance; someone who could wow you while winning. He was the best player in the best era of all time. He truly made the Lakers what they are today.
ChuckTheD

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:01 pm

1. Jerry West. The man set the bar for the Los Angeles Lakers. He was one of the best competitors the game has ever seen and he's the standard to which each Laker holds himself as far as being a professional and being a basketball player.

2. Magic Johnson. The guy reenergized a franchise that was in desperate need of it. He created a culture in the team that changed everything and brought new attention to the NBA. The only reason he's number two is because of what might have been and how things ended. One of the best players to ever play the game, not just LA.

3. Kobe Bryant. Yes, that guy. The one that has given LA 5 championships and 7 Finals appearances in his time here, with more to come. If he can continue to be effective for the next few years, it'll be impossible to argue that he's not the greatest Laker of all time.

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. The Cap. The mot consistent force in the league for 20 freaking years. He helped bring 5 Championships to this storied franchise by providing the big man needed to run Showtime. Without him where is this franchise? Certainly not where it is today.

5. George Mikan. Ever heard of him? Maybe not, but he's the building block of the franchise. When he played he was considered the first dominant big man of the league. He was so great, they had to introduce the shot clock just to try to hold him back. He helped lead this team to 5 Championships and should be recognized for it.

6. Shaquille O'Neal. You may not like him now, but what he did for this franchise cannot be denied. The guy was absolutely unstoppable when he played in LA. He too forced the league to change the rules to stop him. And they still couldn't. Not to mention he was so much fun, probably the most fun guy since that guy Magic.

7. Elgin Baylor. It's unfortunate that he has to slip this far down the list considering how great he was. He was considered the best player in the league at one point and if it weren't for his obligation to the Army Reserve, who knows where this franchise would be?

8. James Worthy. Big Game James. Mr. Finals MVP. Part 3 of the original Big 3, he helped lead this franchise to 3 Championships as an integral part of Showtime. He won a Finals MVP with two guys already on this list. That's got to say something about this guy's talent level.

9. Wilt Chamberlain. The original Superman. He may have come to the Lakers late, but his reputation was already built. He joined Jerry West in LA along with Happy Hairston and Gail Goodrich. As a Laker, towards the end of his career mind you, he never averaged less than 13 pts/ 18 rbds/ 4 asts.

10. Pau Gasol. A little early you say? I say, child! please... Probably one of the most talented people to ever play in the post, Pau has brought the Lakers nothing but success since he's come to the team. The Lakers with Pau have gone to three straight Finals and won two championships in a row. Give him some more time and he may even move up this list.

Honorable Mentions : Derek Fisher, Gail Goodrich, Happy Hairston.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:27 pm

My Dime - All Time

1. Johnson
2. Bryant
3. Abdul-Jabbar
4. West
5. O’Neal
6. Baylor
7. Worthy
8. Chamberlain
9. Pau Gasol
10. Mikan

My Dime – Personal Favorites [who I saw play]

1. Johnson
2. Abdul-Jabbar
3. Bryant
4. O’Neal
5. Worthy
6. Cooper
7. Scott
8. Gasol
9. Jones
10. Fox
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:24 am

1. Magic
2. Kobe
3. West
4. Cap
5. Baylor
6. Shaq
7. Mikan
8. Worthy
9. Chamberlain
10. Gasol
GoldHammish

Postby XXIV on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:23 pm

1. Kobe
2. Magic
3. KAJ
4. Shaq
5. The Logo
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Elgin Baylor
8. James Worthy
9. Pau Gasol
10. Mikan
XXIV

Postby venky on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:00 am

I know this is all opinionated, but for me, idk how anyone can not put Kobe at the top.
venky

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Too late to remove Gasol from my list?

:man9: :man10:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby DEH3 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 am

TIME wrote:To launch this spanking new Trophy Room forum I'm interested in hearing your ranking of the greatest Lakers of all time.

I'm asking you to only consider their career as Lakers. So, for example only consider Karl Malone on the basis of what he accomplished while wearing the Golden Armor, and not his years with the Utah Jazz.

You can rank them based on what YOU value most including production, stats, wins, leadership, longevity, chemistry, intensity, or any other factor that you value in Laker players. There is no right or wrong ranking here; I'm interested in how you remember them.

Here's my ranking:

1. Jerry West - the Logo: he defines Laker greatness
2. Magic - Showtime architect
3. Kobe - the greatest talent ever in team history
4. Kareem - the Captain
5. George Mikan - the first great Laker
6. Elgin Baylor - the 2nd greatest talent in team history
7. Shaq - dominant centerpiece of the threepeat
8. Worthy - Big Game James
9. Wilt - brought the first title to LA
10. Pau - no back to back rings without him

1. Magic